Body of Texas Police Chief Chris Reed Found, Coast Guard Says

June 9, 2019 Updated: June 9, 2019

The body of missing Texas police chief Chris Reed has been found after he fell off a fishing boat in Galveston Bay.

Reed, who was the chief of the Kemah Police Department, fell off the boat after it encountered the wake created by a larger vessel, ABC News reported.

His wife called 911 at around 4 p.m. on June 7 to report that he fell into the bay, said officials, which added that he wasn’t wearing a life jacket.


Reed’s body was recovered on the morning of June 9, Coast Guard officials confirmed, according to the City of Kemah’s Facebook page.

His body was located 1 1/2 miles north of the Texas City Dike by the Galveston County Marine Unit, the statement said.

“At 7:54 a.m. a body matching the description of Chief Chris Reed was recovered from the water by a Galveston County Marine Unit boat crew near mile marker 32 on the west end of the Houston Ship Channel,” the Coast Guard said. “Our hearts go out to the family and friends of Chief Reed, as well the Kemah and law enforcement communities,” said Lt. Cmdr. Caren Damon of the Coast Guard.

Coast Guard crews covered more than 650 square miles to find the body.

Texas City Police Chief Joe Stanton said Reed was a “big, big part of Galveston County law enforcement” during a press conference, ABC reported.

“I want to thank all of the agencies that have responded—the response has been overwhelming—and our hearts and prayers go out to the family,” Stanton said.

Reed was also retired Army paratrooper and was on the Clear Creek Independent School District board, KPRC reported.

“Our prayers are with (Reed’s wife) Jana and her family. Chris has and always will be a beacon and light for children. We are at a loss of words and hope that we find him,” Clear Creek ISD said in a statement to the Houston Chronicle.

His wife saw him fall overboard north of a levee, the Houston Chronicle reported.

“Large boat came by and knocked her husband off the boat,” a dispatcher was quoted by the paper as saying. “She hasn’t seen him since.”

Other details about the incident are not clear.