Baby Gets Burned With Garden Hose—Firefighters Reveal How It Happened
On Monday June 4, the Los Angeles Fire Rescue issued a warning on Twitter warning residents of the potential danger when using garden hoses during summer.
Two summers ago, 9-month-old Nicholas Woodger suffered second-degree burns to 30 percent of his body, after his mother accidentally sprayed him with a garden hose while filling up the kiddie pool, reported KPHO-TV.
Here in Las Vegas, a garden hose exposed to direct sunlight during summer can heat the water inside the hose (not flowing) to 130-140 degrees which can cause burns especially to children & animals. Let the water flow a few minutes to cool before spraying on people or animals. pic.twitter.com/FMkzEt27xl
— Las Vegas FireRescue (@LasVegasFD) 4 June 2018
The Twitter post by the fire department show a photo of baby Nicholas with blistering burns on his back and arms.
According to Fox News, the mother had shared the photo previously and wanted to warn others about using garden hoses during the summer, especially around children.
One user tweeted: “OMG poor baby I can only imagine the parents heartache and guilt.”
OMG poor baby. I can only imagine the parents heartache and guilt.
Sadly it is one of those things we totally over look. Especially if you are new to desert life.
I made this mistake, I actually killed my garden and a monitor lizard one afternoon.😔😔😔😔😔 #DesertLiving
— Sheena Harvy (@SheenaHarvy) 5 June 2018
Las Vegas Fire Rescue Public Information Officer Tim Szymanski told Fox news: “It’s a file photo, we use it every year to show just how serious a burn can occur to a toddler.”
Water not flowing inside a garden hose can be heated to 130-140 degrees Fahrenheit when left in the sunlight, according to the fire department’s tweet. This can result in burns, “especially to children & animals,” the tweet continued.
“Sometimes the people don’t realize that for the length of the hose, all that water is going to be hot water,” Szymanski said.
Residents are encouraged to “let the water flow a few minutes to cool before spraying on people or animals,” the tweet said.
Betty Luna tweeted: “Parents should be grateful for this warning.”
How Doctors in China Turn into Murderers
Former Chinese surgeon Enver Tohti said he was turned into a killing “robot” while thinking he was working for “a great cause.”