Austin Bomber Suspect Recorded 25-Minute ‘Confession’ On His Phone, Police Say

March 21, 2018 Updated: March 21, 2018    

Police said they have made a significant discovery in their investigations into the Austin bombing suspect Mark Anthony Conditt in a press conference on Wednesday, March 21.

In the investigation update, Austin Police Chief Brian Manley said Conditt had made a 25-minute recording on his cell phone — which has been classified as a “confession.” In the recording, the bombing suspect describes how the bombs were constructed and the differences between the bombs.

“On this recording, the suspect describes the six bombs that he constructed with a level of specificity that he identified the differences among those six bombs. We’ve told you all along that they all had similarities, which they did as far as specific components, but there were also differences between them. And on this recording, he identified what those differences were,” Manley said at the press conference.

Conditt, 23, has been identified by authorities as the suspect who is responsible for making six explosive devices — five of which detonated — killing two people and injuring five others over a period of three weeks this month in Austin and surrounding areas.

Police said earlier that the 23-year-old killed himself by detonating a bomb after law enforcement confronted him at around 3 a.m. on Wednesday, March 21.

Mark Anthony Conditt after graduating high school in 2013. (Mark Conditt/Facebook)

Authorities were able to track Conditt down by investigating cell phone technology, security video, and store receipts. Law enforcement located Conditt in Round Rock, right before he began driving on Interstate 35, reported CBS.

In the recording, Conditt did “not at all mention anything about terrorism nor anything about hate,” according to police.

“Instead, it was the outcry of a very challenged young man, talking about challenges in his personal life which led him to this point,” Manley said.

However, police added the recording did not clarify a motive for the package bombings.

“We’re never going to put a ration behind these acts,” Manley said.

Authorities also revealed the suspect had identified seven explosive devices — five of which detonated, one which was found unexploded at a FedEx facility and another which he detonated in his vehicle. In the recording, Manley confirmed all seven devices have been identified. However, authorities are still urging residents to continue to remain vigilant.

Police said the investigation is still ongoing. Earlier today, two of Conditt’s roommates were detained and questioned by authorities.

“One roommate was detained, questioned and released. The other is currently being questioned. Their names will not be released because they are not under arrest at this time,” police said.

At the time of the bombings, Conditt was living with a couple of roommates in Pflugerville, a suburb of Austin.

Conditt attended Austin Community College from 2010 to 2012 but did not graduate, school spokeswoman Jessica Vess said in an email.

Law enforcement personnel investigate a home where the bomber was suspected to have lived in Pflugerville, Texas, U.S., March 21, 2018. (Reuters/Loren Elliott)

Neighbors said the Conditt family, who live in a neat white house with a blue picket fence around the front porch, was quiet.

“They are a really nice, calm family,” said retiree Jeff Reeb, who lives next door. “They have always been extremely nice.”

Reuters contributed to the report

From NTD.tv

 

Recommended Video: