At Least 2 American Citizens Arrested for Assassination of Haiti’s President: Officials

By Jack Phillips
Jack Phillips
Jack Phillips
Senior Reporter
Jack Phillips is a reporter at The Epoch Times based in New York.
July 9, 2021 Updated: July 9, 2021

At least two American citizens were arrested for the assassination of Haitian President Jovenel Moise earlier this week, officials said.

Officials said in a news conference two Haitian-Americans allegedly involved in the plot were identified as James Solages, 35, and Joseph Vincent, 55. Four of the other men are from Colombia, authorities said.

All six suspects were photographed sitting down in zip-tie handcuffs during a press conference that was live-streamed by interim Prime Minister Claude Joseph on Facebook.

Leon Charles, the chief of Haiti’s National Police, told The Associated Press that law enforcement was looking for another eight suspects.

Solages was identified as a resident of South Florida, reported Local10, citing family members.

Schubert Dorisme, of Tamarac, Florida, told the outlet Solages is his wife’s nephew and has known him for several years. Dorisme said Solages often travels to Haiti to do charity work and visit his parents.

“My son killed my brother! That’s the way I feel like my son killed my brother because I love my president and I love James Solages,” Dorisme told the outlet, although he doesn’t believe Solages was involved in the assassination plot.

Regarding his charity work, he added: “Yeah, he helped in Haiti … there is no way that thing would happen. That’s why I say probably somebody else used him.”

“I mean, we cannot believe it. I love my president … I don’t think so. I don’t think he’s capable to do these things. I think somebody used him,” Dorisme said.

According to online records, Solanges appeared to had previously worked as a security guard. But his family members said claims he was in the military are not true.

“He doesn’t have military training,” Dorisme added. “He wasn’t in the military.”

Joseph said that Moise, 53, was killed during “a highly coordinated attack by a highly trained and heavily armed group,” reported The Associated Press. Meanwhile, a judge told local news outlets that the president was shot about a dozen times.

On Thursday, video footage surfaced online showing a mob of people capturing two of the alleged assassins before beating them and dragging them through the streets of Port-au-Prince, the capital. Another video showed the suspects being taken away by police.

“They killed the president! Give them to us! We’re going to burn them!” the mob shouted.

That prompted calls for calm on behalf of Leon, who said citizens shouldn’t resort to vigilante justice.

“I told them to stop. We need evidence,” Leon said, according to the Times of London.

The Epoch Times has contacted the Department of State for comment.

Jack Phillips
Jack Phillips
Senior Reporter
Jack Phillips is a reporter at The Epoch Times based in New York.