The CEO of Dominion Voting Systems on Tuesday said the company has never used a platform that experts believe was breached by hackers as far back as last year.
“We don’t use the SolarWinds Orion package that was the subject of the DHS report from the 13th,” CEO John Poulos told legislators in Michigan via video link.
SolarWinds’s technology was exploited by actors who inserted malicious software into updates for its Orion platform, according to officials with the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and cybersecurity experts.
The DHS’s Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA) warned that the compromise of the network “poses unacceptable risks” and ordered federal agencies that use it to revoke internet access to the affected devices.
The attack “was likely the result of a highly sophisticated, targeted, and manual supply chain attack by an outside nation state, but we have not independently verified the identity of the attacker,” the company said in a statement.
Non-Orion products don’t appear to have been compromised, SolarWinds said.
Poulos said Dominion hasn’t ever used the Orion platform. No legislators asked him about what SolarWinds technology the company does use, and Dominion didn’t respond to requests for comment.
Dominion provides voting equipment and software to 28 states.