Arrest Made in Philippine Mass Murder

November 29, 2009 Updated: November 29, 2009

An arrest has been made following last week's massacre of journalists and other innocent civilians in the Philippines. A total of 29 journalists were murdered, according to the press freedom organization Reporters Without Borders (RSF).

The leading suspect in the Nov. 23 massacre of 57 people, Andal Ampatuan Jr.,was arrested in the Maguindanao Province of the Philippines. According to RSF, local reporters have said that the number of journalists killed has risen to 29. It was originally thought that 12 were murdered.

It is one of the worst cases of violence against journalists in history.

“All the bodies have been located and identification is almost complete,” a reporter based in the nearby city of Koronadal told RSF. “According to the local media’s tally, we lost 29 colleagues in this tragedy.”

Local authorities are said to be preparing a funeral service for the victims. And the government has provided financial assistance to families.