Applebee’s Accidentally Served Fifteen-Month-Old Alcohol

April 12, 2011 Updated: April 12, 2011

Fifteen-month-old Dominic Dill-Reese didn’t have to wait until he hit twenty-one to throw back alcohol, as Applebee’s accidentally served the toddler alcohol mixed with apple juice this past Friday in the Detroit area. Think of it as a premature happy hour.

The Detroit Free Press stated that later during the meal, the parents realized that Dominic was acting strangely, and so called the police. The police realized that a mixed alcoholic drink, which was incorrectly labeled as apple juice, was mistakenly poured into his cup.

Applebee’s said that doctors reported that Dominic’s blood alcohol level was .10%, which is over the legal limit for an adult driver. Thankfully, Dominic is expected to be all right.

Nancy Mays, Applebee’s spokeswomen commented on Monday, “We want to express how thankful we are that the child involved in the incident at our restaurant in Madison Heights…was not seriously injured as a result of accidentally receiving the wrong beverage….We also want to apologize to his parents, for the stress and worry this caused them,” according to the Detroit News.

The Applebee’s restaurant chain is changing beverage-serving rules to avoid further confusion.

Mays stated that the establishment will now serve children juice from single-serve containers that will be on the table. Servers will also undergo further training so that they can ensure that alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages will stored in distinct containers.