Antonio Martin: New Video Shows St. Louis Police Officer Running, Stumbling Backwards

December 24, 2014 Updated: July 18, 2015

A surveillance video released on Wednesday afternoon by St. Louis Police appears to show the officer involved in the shooting death of teen Antonio Martin.

The footage shows the officer backing up quickly before stumbling.

He then shoots across the parking lot.

Two women are seen running out of the gas station in the forefront and into their cars.


Here’s what St. Louis police said:

The St. Louis County Police Department is conducting an investigation into a shooting death involving a Berkeley, Missouri police officer.

At approximately 11:15 PM on December 23, 2014, a police officer with the City of Berkeley was conducting a routine business check at the Mobile Gas Station located at 6800 N. Hanley when he observed two male subjects on the side of the building.

The Berkeley Police Officer exited his vehicle and approached the subjects when one of the men pulled a handgun and pointed it at the officer. Fearing for his life, the Berkeley Officer fired several shots, striking the subject, fatally wounding him. The second subject fled the scene.

The Berkeley Police Department requested the St. Louis County Police Department’s Crimes Against Persons Unit to handle the investigation. St. Louis County Police Detectives have recovered the deceased subject’s handgun at the scene.

At this time, we cannot confirm the identity of the deceased subject. The investigation is on-going and further details will be provided as the investigation proceeds.

The department later stated: 

Surveillance video shows a suspect pointing a gun at a police officer.

The incident was caught by surveillance cameras. The gun was recovered at the scene.

Two officers were injured after a large crowd gathered and some people in the crowd became violent.

Some people threw rocks and bricks at officers. Four people were arrested and face assualt charges.

There were also several attempts to start fires at the gas station where the shooting occured, but the fires were put out quickly.

Chief Jon Belmar called it a sad day for everyone involved.