Anderson Silva Won’t Fight in 2014: ‘This Year is Over For Me’

March 27, 2014 Updated: July 18, 2015

Anderson Silva, who broke his leg late last year, will not return to fighting in 2014, he recently revealed.

Silva has been recovering from his injury. 

“This year is over for me,” Silva told Brazilian website Combate. “It may be that I fight in the middle of next year.”

Silva broke both bones in his left leg during UFC 168 on December 28.

Many have been wondering about the timeline for Silva’s return to the ring, including UFC President Dana White.

What’s crazy about (Silva’s) injury is he will be walking without crutches in a few weeks, he will be training in less than six months, and he will be fighting by the end of the year,”White said on SportsNation earlier this year.

But while Silva has been training to return to fighting he told Combate that he isn’t in a huge rush.

While he is certain he will return he said he probably won’t fulfill his current contract with UFC for 10 fights.

“I don’t see myself stopping,” said Silva. “But I don’t know if I’m going to fulfill the contract for 10 fights.”

 

Follow Zachary on Twitter: @zackstieber