AirAsia Update: Changes Facebook Logo from Red to Grey After Flight QZ-8501 Goes Missing

December 27, 2014 Updated: December 29, 2014

After AirAsia announced one of its planes had gone missing on Saturday evening, the airliner changed its logo from red to grey on Facebook.

It’s unclear exactly why the airliner made the change. The company also issued a statement about the missing plane.

(Facebook screenshot)
(Facebook screenshot)

The statement reads on Facebook:

AirAsia Indonesia regrets to confirm that flight QZ8501 from Surabaya to Singapore has lost contact with air traffic control at 07:24hrs this morning.

 At the present time we unfortunately have no further information regarding the status of the passengers and crew members on board, but we will keep all parties informed as more information becomes available. 

The aircraft was an Airbus A320-200 with the registration number PK-AXC. 

At this time, search and rescue operations are in progress and AirAsia is cooperating fully and assisting the rescue service. 

AirAsia has established an Emergency Call Centre that is available for family or friends of those who may have been on board the aircraft. The number is: +622129850801. 

AirAsia will release further information as soon as it becomes available. Updated information will also be posted on the AirAsia website,

On Facebook and Twitter, users were asking people to “pray” to find the missing jet.

The airliner went missing as it went from Indonesia to Singapore on Sunday morning local time with 162 people on board.

The Indonesian Transport Ministry said the plane’s pilots asked for an “unusual route” before it lost contact with air traffic controllers, Reuters reported.

The plane had six crew and 155 passengers, including 16 children and one infant, the general manager of Surabaya’s Juanda airport, Trikora Raharjo, told The Associated Press.

There were six foreigners — three South Koreans including an infant and one each from Singapore, British and Malaysia, said Raharjo. The rest were Indonesians, he said.

The plane lost contact when it was believed to be over the Java Sea between Kalimantan and Java islands, Mustofa said.

He said the weather in the area was cloudy.

The Singapore aviation authority said it was informed about the missing plane by Jakarta ground control about half an hour after the contact was lost.

“Search and rescue operations have been activated by the Indonesian authorities,” it said, adding that the Singapore air force and the navy also were activated with two C-130 planes.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.