The Pentagon says a Libyan militant accused in a deadly attack on Americans in Benghazi, Libya, is in U.S. custody.
The capture of Ahmed Abu Khattala marks the first time the U.S has apprehended one of the accused perpetrators in the 2012 attack. Khattala is a senior leader of the Benghazi branch of the terrorist group Ansar alt-Sharia.
His capture was first reported by the Washington Post.
The Post says that Khattala was captured in a secret raid on Sunday near Benghazi.
American troops working with the FBI planned the raid for months.
Khattala is now in a secure location outside of Libya, an official told the Post. ABC reported that he’s aboard a U.S. Navy ship in the Mediterranean Sea.
“Khattala’s apprehension is a major victory for the Obama administration, which has been criticized for having failed so far to bring those responsible for the Benghazi attacks to justice,” the Post analyzed.
“One jubilant official called Khattala’s capture ‘a reminder that when the United States says it’s going to hold someone accountable and he will face justice, this is what we mean.'”
The paper found out about the capture on Monday but agreed to delay the story due to a White House request over security concerns.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.