Aaron Hernandez Sued by Two Families, in Jail Fight; But Ex-NFL Star Didn’t Escape ‘Prison’

March 4, 2014 Updated: March 5, 2014

Aaron Hernandez, the former New England Patriots tight end, was reportedly sued by the families of a fatal shooting in 2012 last week, but he didn’t escape from “prison,” as a hoax sports article is claiming.

The ex-NFL star was also allegedly involved in a jailhouse fight with another inmate and was placed into solitary confinement.

The fake sports news article–published on satire news site Empire Sports–said Hernandez escaped from prison and “Hernandez was caught on a security camera inside the home of his former New England teammate Tom Brady with what appears to be a handgun.” 

The story is fake, as the website only publishes satire news. Hernandez has not been convicted of any crime, so he’s currently in jail–not prison, as the article says.

It’s also impossible because Hernandez is currently in solitary confinement at the Bristol County Jail after he reportedly got into a fight with another inmate.

Gossip website TMZ reported that the inmate was “harassing” Hernandez constantly.

“Sources tell us the former New England Patriots tight end — who is usually segregated from the general population — was allowed to take a walk in an isolated hallway … but somehow came into contact with another inmate,” TMZ said. “We’re told Hernandez recognized the other inmate and launched into an attack — beating the other man up pretty badly.”

Bernie Sullivan, a spokesman for the Bristol County sheriff’s office, told the Boston Globe that the 24-year-old was “involved in an altercation with another inmate.” 

“Neither [man] was seriously injured,” Sullivan added, conflicting TMZ’s report that the other inmate was “badly” beat up.

It’s unclear if Hernandez will face criminal charges in the fight.

“Following our investigation, we’ll be able to determine if one or both of the inmates will get any disciplinary action, from a rule violation to administrative discipline or it could rise to criminal charges if it’s determined that one was involved in directly assaulting and battering another inmate,” Bristol County Sheriff Thomas Hodgson told the New York Daily News on Wednesday.

He added: “It’s a specialized unit, the procedure is one inmate allowed out at a time, so obviously that’s a concern to me and everyone here, that there was potentially a shortfall, a systematic failure in our procedures. We’re going to look at, why were they out at the same time? Was it a judgement error on the part of a staff member, some emergency or something, what exactly was it?”

The reports come after Hernandez was sued by the families of a 2012 double-homicide for $6 million each.

The families of Daniel Abreu and Safiro Furtado filed the lawsuit at the Suffolk Superior Court.

Hernandez is being held without bail for the murder of Odin Lloyd, whose body was found in June. Hernandez has pleaded not guilty.

He’s also being investigated for the murders of Abreu and Furtado, who were found shot to death in a vehicle in July 2012.

Suffolk District Attorney Daniel F. Conley’s office issued a statement to the Globe, saying that “the criminal probe into [Abreu and Furtado’s] homicides remains very active.”