A Woman in Her Eighties Handcuffed and Hung for 12 Days and Nights

February 19, 2006 12:00 am Last Updated: February 19, 2006 12:00 am

Luo Qingshu, a retired employee of the Bureau of Geology and Mineral Resources of Gansu Province, was illegally detained for seven months by the Lanzhou City Legal Education School in Gongjiawan. During her detainment, she was often hung up with her hands cuffed behind her back for long periods of time. At one point, she was hung up for twelve days and nights. At the same time, she was also deprived of sleep. The police did not stop torturing her until she was on the brink of death. The public believes people over seventy generally should not be prosecuted for criminal liabilities. Lanzhou City Legal Education School, however, brutally tortured a woman in her eighties. Where is the justice?

According to Minghui.net, on March 3, 2005, Luo Qingshu was sent to the Lanzhou City Gongjiawan Brainwashing Center, which uses the name “Lanzhou City Legal Education School”, for telling people the facts about Falun Dafa. Several hundred police in this “school” take turns torturing Falun Dafa practitioners in attempts to force them to renounce their faith. Even in hard winter, practitioners were forced to sleep on cold concrete floors and were not allowed to brush their teeth or wash their hands and face. They were not even allowed to see other people. The police were awarded bonuses for increasing the quantity of transformed practitioners; as a result, “adding insult to injury” was common practice in persecuting practitioners. Liu Zhifang, a Pipa (Chinese musical instrument) musician from the Gansu Province Yu-Opera Group and a Falun Dafa practitioner, was tortured to death in this brainwashing center.

They began torturing Luo Qingshu once she was placed into solitary confinement. They forced her to stand with her back facing a steel door and stretched both of her hands through holes in the door to cuff her hands together. Ten minutes were permitted for a meal, five minutes for using the restroom, but she was not allowed to drink or sleep. If she dozed off, she was beaten and pinched until she woke up. The police would then ask her, “How are you feeling? Have you had enough time to consider giving up your faith?”

Once a policeman, whose last name is Qi, said, “You oppose the communist party. You complained that I had hung you up five times. Well, I'll hang you up ten times or one hundred times. I will tear off your skin and pull out your tendons.” Then he slapped her face until blood streamed from her mouth and her nose swelled up.

Luo Qingsu was forced to stand up day and night until her swollen feet could no longer fit into her shoes. Her legs were swollen to the point her pants could not be removed. Her skin swelled and she was unable to bend her legs to sit down. She had a long and deep cut that extended from one of her calves to her thigh. It was difficult for her to pick up food as well because her hands became bloated and she could not bend her fingers. The police were worried she might die soon and therefore temporarily halted her torture. After she was given a short time to recover, they resumed torturing her in an attempt to force her into signing a statement to give up her faith. In the longest torture session, she was hung up for twelve days and nights with her hands cuffed behind her back.

Luo Qingshu was tortured into unconsciousness several times and became emaciated, but she held tightly on to her beliefs. Many times, she was beaten black and blue simply because she was discovered secretly practicing the Falun Dafa exercises in her room. Her health deteriorated, rendering her unable to move her body even the slightest, and when she went to the washroom, what came out resembled tar. At this point, she was sent to a hospital for treatment, but was rejected by the hospital due to her critical condition. On October 17, she was sent home on a stretcher. The brainwashing center then charged the Gansu Provincial Geological Bureau 23,000 yuan (US$3,000) for her so-called “education.” At present the fee is being deducted every month from her pension and from her daughter's salary.