9-Year-Old Girl Falls Asleep With Her Phone, When She Wakes up She’s in Agonizing Pain
A 9-year-old English girl was shopping one day when a cheap iPhone case caught her eye.
The case, filled with liquid and glitter, was pretty and not expensive, so Olivia Retter bought it.
Olivia isn’t supposed to take her phone to bed but she snuck the device in and fell asleep on it.
During the night, a crack in the case started leaking some of the liquid out and when Olivia woke up she was in agonizing pain.
Turns out the chemicals are dangerous and Olivia may have an iPhone-shaped scar for life.
Her mom Karly Retter took to Facebook to warn others.
“Please share this as much as possible this case is full of acid and if it cracks it will cause 3rd-2nd degree burns this is the damage it has caused my daughter and she will be scarred for life ! A lot of girls have these at the moment so just be careful” she said.
Retter tried calling the store at which they bought the case, New Look, but hasn’t received a response.
“There wasn’t a safety warning or anything at all on the case itself – nothing which warns you what was inside is a chemical which can cause serious burns. Imagine if it had leaked when Olivia was on the phone or holding it to her face–it could have gone on her face or her eyes,” she told the Daily Mail.
“You just don’t think something like that could happen…A lot of young girls have similar phone cases and they have no idea how dangerous they are.”
The Mail was able to get in touch with the retailer. A spokesperson said the specific product has been pulled from shelves and they’re investigating.