Nairobi Building Collapse: 6-Story Building Accident Kills 1 in Kenya Capital (Photos)

By Jack Phillips, Epoch Times
January 4, 2015 5:19 pm Last Updated: January 4, 2015 5:24 pm

At least one person was killed and more were injured after a high-rise building in the neighborhood of Haruma in Nairobi, Kenya, on Sunday.

NTV reported that at least a dozen people were injured. An unknown number people were trapped, reports said.

According to AFP:

An AFP photographer saw two victims being pulled from the rubble alive, while at least 10 others were admitted to a nearby hospital, medical staff said.

Large numbers of residents also swarmed to the site, volunteering to dig in the rubble with their bare hands, although crowds were pushed away by police as heavy lifting machinery and official rescue teams were brought in.

Kenya’s KTN news channel said 20 ambulances had been put on stand-by in the area.

Story developing…

A victim of a collapsed building arrives at the Kenyatta National hospital in Nairobi, on January 04, 2015. A high-rise building collapsed in the Kenyan capital on January 4, leaving at least a dozen injured and an unknown number of others trapped under rubble, officials and witnesses said. (SIMON MAINA/AFP/Getty Images)
A victim of a collapsed building arrives at the Kenyatta National hospital in Nairobi, on January 04, 2015. A high-rise building collapsed in the Kenyan capital on January 4, leaving at least a dozen injured and an unknown number of others trapped under rubble, officials and witnesses said. (SIMON MAINA/AFP/Getty Images)

 

Civilian volunteers help carry away debris from the scene of a collapsed multi-storey residential building, January 04, 2014 in densely populated Huruma estate area of Kenyan capital, Nairobi. (TONY KARUMBA/AFP/Getty Images)
Civilian volunteers help carry away debris from the scene of a collapsed multi-storey residential building, January 04, 2014 in densely populated Huruma estate area of Kenyan capital, Nairobi. (TONY KARUMBA/AFP/Getty Images)

AP Africa update:

Suicide bomber kills 4 people in Somalia’s capital 

NAIROBI, Kenya (AP) — A suicide car bomber blew himself up near a moving convoy of Somalia’s U.S.-trained elite forces in Mogadishu, killing at least four people, a Somali police officer said Sunday.

Somali militant group al-Shabab claimed responsibility for the attack, according to the group’s Radio Andulus.

The attack on the airport road in the capital killed mostly pedestrians walking along the road, said Capt. Mohamed Hussein.

Mohamed Yusuf, the spokesman of Somalia’s National Security Ministry, said the government had information about the attack, and the car bomb was detonated while the attacker was being pursued.

“We shall continue preventing such attacks, however we ask people to work with us,” he told reporters in Mogadishu.

The Alpha Group troops are part of Somalia’s intelligence forces and often carry out operations against militants in Somalia.

Al-Shabab is an ultra-conservative Islamic militant group that is linked to the al-Qaida terrorist network and wants to run Somalia by its strict interpretation of Shariah law. Despite militants suffering huge losses in recent years, including the killing of their leader in a U.S. airstrike earlier this year, al-Shabab remains a threat. Al-Shabab leader Ahmed Godane was killed in a U.S. airstrike in September.