Why is it that we tend to over snack in the summertime? There seem to be a few reasons why we tend to snack more when it is hot outside. Here are some I know about: It’s too hot so we are not motivated to fix a meal, the ice cream truck is in our neighborhood, there are lots of fun places with outdoor seating to meet up with friends for drinks and appetizers and then those with kids tend to spend more time at home hanging out which can lead to wanting more snacks. Whatever the reason, it can be easy to overeat in the summer because of constant snacking.
Here are 5 tips to avoid over snacking:
1. Pre-plan and pre-organize your snacks. Make sure there are plenty of colorful cut up vegetables and healthy dips in the front of your refrigerator.
2. Avoid buying packaged snacks. Instead package your own to grab-and-go with to the pool, sports activities, summer travel, picnics or a friend’s backyard barbecue.
3. Think about when you want to eat snacks during the day and set a specific time when you will enjoy them. This way you can avoid grazing throughout the day.
4. Be in control of your snacks or appetizers. When invited to a friend’s house or spending hours at a swim meet, offer to bring the snack, that way you can be in control of what you eat. You can choose to provide a healthy alternative.
5. Drink a lot of water. It is hot outside and we need to drink more water. Sometimes our feelings of hunger are actually because we are dehydrated. Before you choose to eat a snack…or any meal, always drink a glass or two of water. You will feel fuller, you will avoid dehydration and you can avoid over snacking.
Enjoy! And Live Vibrant!