15-Year-Old Girl Texted ‘I’m Scared’ Before She Was Allegedly Killed: Reports

June 21, 2019 Updated: June 21, 2019

The final words that a 15-year-old girl texted before she was allegedly killed by her mother’s boyfriend have been revealed.

Riley Crossman, the teen, sent a text to her boyfriend: “Andy’s in my room … I’m scared, babe,” reported the Herald-Mail.

Andy J. McCauley, 41, who is charged with Crossman’s murder, was allegedly linked to her murder after drywall mud and screws were found in his work truck from the site where the teen’s body was dumped, the paper reported.

Prosecutors this week said that it could be several weeks before the cause and manner of her death is officially revealed, according to the report. Her body was found near a steep cliff at the top of a mountain.

Her final text messages were presented by prosecutors during a court hearing against McCauley.

As reported by WDVM, cadaver dogs led investigators into the bed of McCauley’s truck, suggesting that a dead body had been inside.

On May 7, the day before Crossman went missing, McCauley allegedly called her three times between 3 a.m. and 4 a.m., the Herald-Mail reported.

Officials have not revealed a motive in the case.

Prosecuting Attorney Dan James presented the case against the suspect during the hearing.

“Andy McCauley was adamant that he had nothing to do with this, you heard his testimony that he drove on Route 9 and Route 9 only, thankfully with the involvement of the sheriff’s department, state police, FBI, we panned out and was able to show that he wasn’t being truthful,” said James, reported WDVM.

He added: “We found that one video camera that put us down in Southern Berkeley County. That and finding her body the following day was an act of God, and from there we were able to look into other neighborhoods in close proximity to her body, we see him drive right to where her body was and leave 19 minutes later so I believe it’s a strong case.”

According to the local station, Crossman was last seen on May 7 before her body was found a week later.

“It’s not going to provide any relief for the family but it’ll provide a better idea of what happened to Riley in the late night hours of May 7th and early hours of May 8th,” added James. “Closure is something the family will never have but they’ll get a better understanding.”

According to People magazine, he is still in police custody and has yet to enter a plea in the case.


Her mother did not see her daughter in her room when she woke up the next morning at 7:15 a.m.

But a family friend, Kelly Waugh, told Dateline that it is not “incredibly abnormal,” and it is usually when Riley leaves for school to give her time for socializing.

“Riley walks right across the street to the school. And her school starts at 7:45 a.m. her boyfriend was going on a field trip that day, so it was not abnormal that she went over early to say hi to him before he left for the field trip,” she said.

It was only when Riley failed to return home after school that her mother began to worry and contact her.

Epoch Times reporter Isabel Van Brugen contributed to this report.