12 Policemen Killed in Bomb Attack in Turkey

September 8, 2015 Updated: September 8, 2015

ANKARA, Turkey—A roadside bomb killed 12 policemen in eastern Turkey after Turkish jets carried out airstrikes against Kurdish rebels and their camps in northern Iraq, state media reports said Tuesday.

Kurdish rebels were suspected of detonating a bomb in the eastern province of Igdir as a police vehicle escorting a group of customs officials to a border gate was passing by, the Anadolu Agency reported. Several other officers were injured in the attack in the province which borders Armenia, the agency said.

The customs officials were going to a border crossing between Turkey and the Azerbaijani enclave of Nakhchivan, following the kidnapping of a group of customs officials by the Kurdish rebels. The officials were released unharmed on Tuesday.

The attack on the policemen comes amid a sharp escalation of violence between Turkey’s security forces and the Kurdistan Workers’ Party, or PKK.

Sixteen soldiers were killed in a similar attack by the PKK on Sunday — the deadliest assault on the Turkish security forces since the renewed fighting erupted in July, derailing a peace process with the Kurds.

Earlier, Turkey’s state-run news agency said Turkish jets had carried out airstrikes against a group of Kurdish rebels as well as the militants’ camps in northern Iraq. It said up to 40 rebels died in the overnight aerial operations.

The airstrikes were confirmed by Firat news, a website close to the rebels.

Anadolu Agency said F-16 and F-4 fighter jets bombed a group of up to 25 PKK rebels believed to have carried out the bombing with improvised explosive devices that killed 16 soldiers near the border with Iraq on Sunday. The agency said the jets struck the rebels on their escape routes in Iraq and also targeted six rebel camps there.

Anadolu said 53 planes were involved in the strikes.

The agency did not cite a source for report and there was no immediate official confirmation.

Protests denouncing the PKK erupted in several cities across Turkey on Monday soon after the military announced the 16 soldiers’ deaths. The pro-Kurdish political party said several of its local branches were vandalized during the demonstrations.

More than 200 people have been killed in the renewed fighting between the PKK and the security forces since July, including close to 100 soldiers and police officers.

It comes amid increased political uncertainty in Turkey. The country is holding a new election on Nov. 1, following the ruling party’s failure to form a coalition government after an election in June.