Chemicals inside a Georgia motel room made police officers sick after they were called to inspect a dead body.
The officers were hospitalized on Saturday after responding to reports of the deceased man, USA Today reported.
Officers responding to the scene smelled a chemical odor that made them sick. Three officers were sent to an Atlanta-area hospital for a checkout. Emergency crews evacuated the third floor of the motel, USA Today reported.
The officers were described as alert and conscious, DeKalb County police spokeswoman Shiera Campbell said.
A HAZMAT crew was called to the scene, and samples of a chemical were retrieved, Fire Capt. Eric Jackson said.
“Something in there made the officers sick,” said on Saturday, Fox News reported.
As for the man who was found dead, police think the chemical killed him.
No harmful substances have been identified in the chemical other than a “combination of household cleaning solutions,” officials said, Fox5 reported. “No other harmful substances have been identified at this time,” police also told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.
“The police were telling us to leave,” one guest told Fox5 Atlanta. “We’ve been out of our room for three hours. What was really the cause?”
An autopsy will be conducted to figure out the man’s cause of death. It’s not being treated as a homicide.
His name wasn’t released as of Sunday. It’s not clear if the man was exposed to the chemicals on purpose or accidentally, reports said.
Other details about the incident were not made clear in media reports.