A warning was issued by the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) about the Fisher-Price Rock ‘N Play seat after reports of infant deaths.
The agency said it is aware of 10 infant deaths in the Rock ‘N Play since at least 2015.
“After the infants rolled from their back to their stomach or side, while unrestrained,” is when the deaths took place, according to the agency.
The infants were aged 3 months or older.
The CPSC is now advising consumers to stop using the product by three years of age or as soon as the infant is able to roll over.
The agency said it has “has previously warned consumers to use restraints in infant inclined sleep products.”
ATTENTION PARENTS: Fisher-Price has issued a warning after reports of death when infants roll over while using their Rock 'N Play. There have been 10 infant deaths already involved.
“Fisher-Price warns consumers to stop using the product when infants can roll over, but the reported deaths show that some consumers are still using the product when infants are capable of rolling and without using the three-point harness restraint,” according to the agency.
Parents are advised to create a safe environment for infants when they are using a crib, play yard, bassinet, or another sleeper.
Meanwhile, parents should not add stuffed toys, pillows, blankets, and other items to the sleeping area as they can pose a hazard, the agency said.
The agency was created to guard the public against risks of injury or death associated with a variety of products.
“Deaths, injuries, and property damage from consumer product incidents cost the nation more than $1 trillion annually. CPSC is committed to protecting consumers and families from products that pose a fire, electrical, chemical or mechanical hazard,” according to the agency.
It issues warnings and recalls to on items like “toys, cribs, power tools, cigarette lighters, and household chemicals,” adding that doing so has led to a decline in overall deaths.
A California-based firm said it is recalling California-grown avocados over possible listeria contamination.
RECALL ALERT: Your avocados may be contaminated🥑🥑
In a news release on March 24 on the U.S. Food and Drug Administration’s (FDA) website, the Henry Avocado Corporation said it is recalling the product as a precaution after tests for Listeria monocytogenes came back positive.
The tests were done as part of a routine government inspection at its packing facility in California, the company said.
“We are voluntarily recalling our products and taking every action possible to ensure the safety of consumers who eat our avocados,” said Phil Henry, the president of Henry Avocado.
Baby Cough Syrup
The FDA also issued a recall was issued for a brand of baby cough syrup sold by Dollar General stores across the United States.
The reason for the recall is that the product has the potential to be contaminated by a form of bacteria that could be deadly, according to a notice published on the health agency’s website.
Vomiting and diarrhea are the symptoms of the bacterial infection, but, according to the FDA, it could be fatal in serious cases.
According to the March 20 notice, the product was found to have the potential for contamination with Bacillus cereus and Bacillus circulans bacteria.
“Bacillus cereus in food products has the potential to produce two forms of gastrointestinal illness, one being a syndrome primarily of vomiting, and the other of diarrhea,” said the agency. “Most often, illnesses are mild and self-limiting, although more serious and even lethal cases have occurred.”