Mom notices suspicious black spots in baby’s nose—now she has warning about something everyone does

October 15, 2017 12:09 pm Last Updated: October 15, 2017 1:36 pm

The potential benefits of scented candles are many—the perfect scent can enhance your mood, create a lasting memory, and have numerous aromatherapy benefits. But despite that, the candle itself can have adverse affects for your house.

Depending on the ingredients of the candle itself, it can be potentially hazardous and even carcinogenic. In fact, according to a particular study conducted by a group of professors at Melbourne University, some candles may emit a number of potentially harmful chemicals, including toluene and benzene. If you didn’t know, these substances could cause damage to your central nervous system, lung, and brain.

They can also cause development difficulties among children. What’s more, they can trigger frequent migraines and asthma attacks. Other studies have found that particular fragrances can, when released into the air, become irritants.

Meghan Budden, who resides in New Jersey with her loving husband, Jeff, was nursing her lovely baby as usual when she noticed something strange.

(Meghan Budden/Facebook)

She discovered that her baby had suspicious black spots in his nostrils. At this point, Meghan wasn’t aware that these similar spots were the primary cause of the deaths of nearly 20,000 people each year, in the United States alone!

Having noticed that that the towel she was using to wipe her baby had black specks, Meghan opted to examine her son’s nostrils, just to establish their origin. Until then, she didn’t have any clue as to what might have caused this scenario.

However, after a while, she realized that it was her cozy scented candles. Perhaps what drove her to this conclusion was that on the candle box, there was a warning printed in small letters indicating: “Do not burn more than three hours at one time.”

Unknown to her, the scented candles had started to produce soot and which had subsequently spread in the entire room leaving the little innocent Jimmy with no option but to inhale it.

According to Meghan, she hopes that her story reaches out to as many individuals as possible. She feels it is high time everyone is made aware of the associated risks of lighting scented candles. Indeed, if you carefully examine these statistics coupled with the scientific studies at hand, you’ll bear with Meghan that nearly everyone needs to know about this.

(Meghan Budden/Facebook)

Though scented candles may seem friendly, their constant use is a considerable cause of indoor air pollution. In fact, the scented candle soot is considered as hazardous as second-grade smoke. Perhaps this is because a significant number of scented candles are made of kerosene wax, that emits highly toxic toluene and benzene when burned. These are highly toxic carcinogens.

Additionally, many scented candles have wicks which are filled with heavy metals such as lead, and this implies that even very few periods of burning them will result in the concentration of airborne heavy metals which is much higher than the lawfully acceptable limits. It is imperative to note that in the United States, candle wicks should to be made of paper or cotton.

However, studies have revealed that close to 30 percent of scented candles have heavy metals in the wicks. This is a huge concern. Finally, a substantial number of scented candles contain artificial dyes and scents, which are known to release additional harmful chemicals when burned.

According to health experts at Cashins and Associates, the prospect of inhaling small particles such as those contained in scented candles can potentially cause asthma, cardiovascular diseases as well as other related respiratory diseases. The same report concludes that close to 20,000 individuals die prematurely every year as a result of exposure to soot.

Additionally, soot is the primary cause of all the respiratory issues that result in more than 300,000 asthma attacks well as 2 million lost work days every year. These are staggering figures.

But it is not impossible to mitigate.

On most occasions, the soot produced by scented candles is so subtle that it’s not readily detected in the air. Health experts recommend trimming the scented candle wicks routinely. Again, you should never allow them to burn for more than a specified period, to help prevent the imminent spread of soot.

Many also opt for candles made from safer ingredients, like non-scented and undyed candles—which should still only be burned for a couple of hours at a time perhaps not so regularly.

Thankfully for Meghan and her son, everything ended well. The family hasn’t witnessed anything strange since that fateful incident. However, it is highly advisable that everyone out there should take Meghan’s final advice seriously! Always check twice at the warning signs and labels on any particular scented candle before you light it up!