They say it takes a village to raise a child—so when someone recommended that Danielle Kapetanovic try using Orajel’s baby version on her 15-month-old daughter, who at the time was experiencing some discomfort from teething, she gladly accepted the recommendation and went to the store and purchased the gel.
Kapetanovic then went on Facebook and told all of her friends and family about her shocking experience with the nighttime version she bought. Her post has since been shared more than 100,000 times.
Kapetanovic has two daughters, a 4-year-old and a 15-month-old.
Her 15-month-old daughter Chloe is currently teething and has been experiencing some discomfort. Taking the advice of someone she knew, she purchased Orajel Medicated Nighttime Teething Gel for her daughter.
On February 26th, right before Chloe went to bed, Kapetanovic read the directions and applied “less than a pea size” amount on her daughter’s gums.
Chloe had been dealing with some discomfort due to teething.
“Chloe immediately turned red, started kicking, got one or two screams in, and 10-15 seconds after the Orajel touched her gums she became unresponsive,” the mother of two shared on Facebook. “Her eyes locked in a dead stare, she became limp and stopped breathing. She turned blue.”
Her husband Mike quickly called 911 as she began mouth-to-mouth resuscitation on her 15-month-old.
“It was like something had stopped inside of her; like she was not there,” she told PEOPLE.
Almost immediately after the Orajel was applied, Chloe became unresponsive.
⚠️⚠️⚠️⚠️ I don’t like to put personal information related to my kids out there but I feel compelled to warn other…
Within seconds Chloe woke up and when paramedics arrived they determined she was ok, but the Kapetanovics were understandably shaken up.
“That image is seared in my head. She did not look like she had life in her,” she told PEOPLE.
Thankfully the entire ordeal lasted only 30 seconds and Chloe fully recovered.
Following the incident, Kapetanovic researched the teething gel a little more carefully, and she shared her experience and findings on her Facebook.
Her post has received over 20,000 comments and has been shared over 100,000 times.
She remarked that she found posts dating back at least 10 years from parents who experienced the same thing with their child—and even more frightening, she found a warning from the FDA that advises parents against giving their babies benzocaine, which is the active ingredient in Orajel’s teething line.
Now, Kapetanovic wants others to pay closer attention to labels.
💙💜ORAJEL DIA E NOITE 💙💜 está sendo meu amigo qui, fiquei na dúvida em comprar, mas o Aaron só foi ter o primeiro dente aos 16 meses, então não me preocupava em comprar, mas agora com 1 ano e meio começou a dor aumentar, não dorme direito à noite, fica muito nervoso e estressado e com essa ajudinha aí, está melhorando bastante e ajudando ele e eu a passar por essa fase dos benditos dentinhos 👶💆🏻❤️ . . #orajel #mamaecuida #mamaeatenta #mamaeama #amormaior #babyboy #maedeprimeiraviagem #maedemenino #dentinhos #dentinhosnascendo #dentedeleite #mundoazul
In her Facebook post, the mother explained that the packaging states the product is for children over the age of two only. However, it’s misleading, because the product is sold in the baby aisle and shows a photo of what appears to be a baby. In addition, the majority of a child’s teeth come in prior to a child’s second birthday.
She also explained how the age use and side effects are inconsistently displayed on the product throughout different countries.
She also wants parents to take action.
It was a very scary moment that Kapetanovic believes could have been prevented. After having experienced it, she wants to make sure no other parent has to deal with the same situation.
In her Facebook post she suggested parents file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission or a consumer advocacy agency.
“There’s a product out there being targeted and advertised to babies when it should not be used on babies … It’s very upsetting,” she said. “I don’t want this to happen to anyone else.”
To read her entire Facebook post, click here.