Man gets the fright of his life when a family of racoons burst from the ceiling and onto his couch

Things turned even more chaotic after firefighters arrive to try and catch the understandably hostile raccoons
June 16, 2018 5:35 pm Last Updated: June 16, 2018 5:35 pm

Mother Nature is a force to be reckoned with. Try as people might, it’s impossible to keep the forces of nature away for good.

In Sheridan Township, Michigan, a man was sitting in his living room when he heard a scratching noise coming from his ceiling. He ignored it at first, but came face-to-face with its source before long.

A man in Michigan was unwittingly sharing his home with a family of five.

(Facebook/ Albion Department of Public Safety)

As it turned out, the resident had some squatters enjoying the warmth and comfort of his apartment. On May 5, their secret came crashing through the ceiling.

“What do you do when you’re sitting in your living room and a raccoon and her 5 babies suddenly fall through the ceiling onto your couch?” the Albion Department of Safety said in their Facebook post.

In the blink of an eye, a mother raccoon and her newly-born raccoon kit broke through the ceiling in the corner of the living room and landed on the sofa. The man, who has remained anonymous, was obviously startled.

He dialed 911 as quickly as he could, and before long, his living room was packed with raccoons and first responders who weren’t sure how best to handle the problem.

Trying to protect her babies, the mother raccoon bit through a firefighter’s gloves.

(Facebook/ Albion Department of Public Safety)

In a disorderly and humorous scramble, the people whoop and holler while trying to reel in the mother raccoon. She is noticeably frantic, and intent on protecting her little ones.

As one of the firefighters tried to grab her, she bit through his glove and ran into a nearby closet. After attempts to coax her out failed, Township fire chief Lance Lohrke managed to lasso her with a dog catch pole.

The kits, who had been born recently and were small enough to pick up and put in a plastic tub, were reunited with their mother before long. The homeowner believed the mother raccoon gained access to the home through a hole in the porch.

From there, she crawled her way into the attic where the warmth provided the perfect environment for her to nurse her kits.

None of the raccoons were injured, and they were immediately released into the wild.

(Facebook/ Albion Department of Public Safety)

According to M Live, the raccoons were reunited and released into the wild.

Aside from a hole in the ceiling, a torn glove, and some pillows scattered about from the fracas, nothing was worse for the wear. The raccoons were completely unharmed—as were the first responders.

The firefighter who was bitten was protected by his gloves, but was treated for rabies at the hospital as a precautionary measure.

What do you do when you’re sitting in your living room and a raccoon and her 4 babies suddenly fall through the ceiling onto your couch?

Posted by Albion Department of Public Safety on Saturday, May 5, 2018