Mail carrier notices elderly woman’s mail and trash piling up — and calls 911

December 5, 2017 1:44 pm Last Updated: December 5, 2017 1:44 pm

After working the same job for years, one may become quite close to their regular customers. After seeing the same faces frequently, the conversation starts to develop to more than just a “hello” and “good-bye.”

And some people may go from a casual conversation on the job—to saving their customers.

Lisa Sweeney has been a mail carrier for 30 years and has been working the same route in New York City for 13 of those years. Sweeney knows all her customers by their name and face, and Marie Boyer is one of the familiar faces she sees when she does her rounds.

One day in August, on her regular route, Sweeney came across some red flags when she approached the 87-year-old’s home.

“I’m aware of my surroundings always. The garbage gets picked up Friday. Her garbage pails were still out in the driveway [that Monday] … That was a signal,” she told The Post.

Sweeney knows that Boyer religiously takes her trashcans in after the trash is picked up. Along with the trashcans, the woman’s mail was piling up and her car was parked in the driveway.

(CBS New York/Screenshot)

After noticing these red flags, Sweeney called the paramedics.

“I decided I should call 911. I mean, I didn’t know, but my heart told me she was inside,” said Sweeney.

It was a good thing Sweeney was there, because Boyer was in trouble. She had slipped and fallen in her bedroom and had been stuck inside her home fighting for her life for the last four days.

(CBS New York/Screenshot)

“I couldn’t get up,” Boyer told The Post. “I called for help but no one could hear me. I remember thinking that I didn’t want to die this way.”

The elderly woman was suffering from dehydration and was slipping in and out of consciousness. “I was a mess, My mouth was peeling.”

Because of the hero mailwoman, the FDNY and NYPD broke into Marie’s home and found her clinging to life on the floor.

“When someone finally came down and said, ‘She’s alive,’ I started crying,” the mailwoman explained.

(CBS New York/Screenshot)

Boyer had passed out again, but when she opened her eyes, she was also happy to see Sweeney.

“I knew you’d know I was in the house, because the mail was all there,” Boyer told Sweeney. “If it weren’t for her, I wouldn’t be here right now.”

Boyer’s incident left her bruised and with a walker, but the two women have grown extremely close. They call each other regularly, share pints of pistachio ice cream, and they celebrated Boyer’s 87th birthday.

“She’s rare,” said Boyer. “Not too many people would do that.”