It was a race against time as rescue workers rushed to save the life of an infant who was stuck inside an apartment building sewage system.
The harrowing saga began around 5:00 p.m. in east China’s Zhejiang Province, when neighbors started to hear the muffled cries of a baby, seemingly coming from the walls and ceilings of their apartments. After a brief investigation, they finally discovered where the sounds were coming from: a sewage pipe. Initially shocked by their discovery, the undeterred residents quickly called the local fire department to get the child out.
The child was completely stuck in the sewage drain by the time rescue workers arrived.
Sparing no time, the local firefighters quickly got to work to free the infant. It would be a difficult operation, but both residents and firefighters quickly identified where the infant was stuck in the line, and working with careful precision, they used hand saws and pliers to remove the section of pipe containing the baby from the ceiling of the lower floor.
Owing to the extreme care that needed to be taken, the process was slow. However, with determination, the rescue workers managed to remove the pipe from the wall; the easy part was done. The next step of the journey was to transport the section of pipe to a nearby medical facility in order to better handle any complications that might occur during the procedure.
This was a perilous period of the rescue, as the child had been stuck for several hours at this point. Rescuers feared that the child might not survive additional trauma, and this meant that firefighters constantly had to place the pipe down, reach into it, and touch the child to make sure it was still breathing. The concerned rescue workers would also often reach in to console the frightened child.
Thanks to the extreme care and perseverance, the child sustained no injuries on the way to the hospital.
Having arrived at the medical facility, the section of pipe was made ready for the final part of the procedure; rescue workers and medical staff now had to use pipe clippers and pliers to cut and chip the pipe away from the infant’s body. This work was made more difficult due to the baby, whose frightened movements complicated efforts to create incisions in the pipe material.
Medical staff waited with baited breath to see if the baby was unharmed.
After hours of agonizingly slow work, firefighters were able to chip away at the pipe enough to allow medical staff to examine the child’s upper body. Miraculously, the baby was found to be mostly unharmed, and firefighters were then able to cut enough of the pipe to remove the baby without further risk of injury.
The baby was frightened, but miraculously unharmed.
It is not yet apparent how the child came to fall into the pipe, but the story demonstrates how sometimes it really does take a village to raise a child!