Nurses are among the most unsung heroes in the world. Their diligent efforts help save lives, yet their recognition is out of proportion with their importance.
Kathy Price was finishing up her shift recently as a licensed practical nurse at Rocky Mountain Care in Logan, Utah, when she began to see smoke pouring out of a patient’s room.
“I could see smoke coming from out of the door frame,” Price said to KSL.
Price walked over to Kathleen Lucherini’s room, pushed open the door, and was immediately hit with intense heat.
“When I opened the door, there was just like a big billow of smoke that came out,” Price said. “I could see Kathy in front of me, and her bed was on fire from about the waist down.”
An electrical fire from a window-mounted air conditioner provided the spark.
There was no time to run and get help—the rest of the hospital had already started evacuating. The fire on Kathleen’s bed was spreading quickly, and Price was faced with a life and death decision different from those she handled as a nurse.
In a flash she ran towards the flames. The nurse pulled Kathleen off of her bed, onto the floor, and out of her room, fighting thick clouds of smoke the entire way.
“I pulled her over to the side of the bed, and onto the ground,” Price said. “I didn’t even think about it. I knew I needed to get her out.”
When Price arrived at the doorway, a coworker was waiting to help her. Price was in a fit that was a combination of hyperventilating and crying.
Firefighters arrived at the hospital quickly, but would have been too late to save Kathleen. Officials agree that Price’s heroics saved the senior’s life.
Kathleen suffers from dementia, and was unable to recall the dramatic event or the woman who saved her life. But her son, Monte Lucherini, won’t soon be forgetting them.
“Well, I think it was miraculous,” Monte said to KSL. “She did what she had to do. She did the right thing. I think it’s heroic.”
Remarkably, Kathleen escaped the blaze without a hair out of place. Doctors found no scratches, cuts, or burns as a result of the fire.
“Not a bruise, not a singed hair. Nothing,” Monte said.
Price said she’d never had to face a fire in her impressive 40-year career as a nurse. She hopes to never find herself in the same position again, but if she does, she won’t hesitate to make the same decision.
“I’d never hope to do that again, because it was very frightening,” Price said. “But I would do it again tomorrow if I needed to.”
As a fire broke out at a nursing home in Logan, a nurse rushed toward the flames to pull a resident from her bed that was already on fire. KSL 5 TV
Posted by Mike Anderson KSL on Monday, July 9, 2018