Best friends get pregnant and give birth on the same day—but what happens next—’100% did not plan’

January 19, 2018 10:42 am Last Updated: January 19, 2018 10:42 am

When you’ve been close to someone for a long time, you begin to realize just how much you have in common. Of course there are some shared interests which may have served as the launching-off point for the relationship in the first place, but as time goes on you discover there are also weirder subtler things.

You might start to pick up each other’s mannerisms or even end up wearing similar outfits on the same day completely unplanned. But there’s probably not many people that have experienced anything quite as bizarre as friends Alicia Renna and Nicole Shaw.

Renna and Shaw have been best friends since kindergarten.

Posted by Alicia Renna on Friday, January 1, 2010

Renna and Shaw began their friendship 26 years ago in a kindergarten just outside of Boston.

Now grown adults, they no longer live close by with Shaw in New Hampshire and Renna still in Massachusetts, yet they’re still incredibly close friends who call each other regularly.

They both got married in 2015, but that’s far from the strangest coincidence they experienced.

Posted by Alicia Renna on Thursday, February 19, 2015

Posted by Nicole Shaw on Sunday, May 10, 2015

About 1 year later, Renna called Shaw to let her know that she was pregnant. Yet what she didn’t realize was that Shaw had just found out that she was pregnant too. Shaw was giggling to herself throughout the phone conversation, knowing her bestie would flip her lid when she heard the news.

Both women were pregnant with the same due date!

“I won’t forget that phone call. I was driving home from work when she told me. I was so excited when she told me her due date, which was the same due date as me, that I had to pull over. I started crying with excitement!” Renna told POPSUGAR.

The friends continued keeping tabs on each other throughout their pregnancies. There were moments of joy but also moments of tiredness and uncertainty, like when they both went past their due dates. Fortunately, they made it past those bumps in the road.

Posted by Alicia Renna on Monday, March 23, 2009

Both women were induced, albeit a day apart in different hospitals. And, wouldn’t you know it? They both ended up giving birth on the same day!

Shaw ended up giving birth to her daughter, Charlotte, just five hours before Renna had her son, Anthony John (“AJ”).

Posted by Alicia Renna on Friday, July 8, 2016

Renna said, “I remember texting her during labor being like, ‘I can’t believe this is happening!’

“At one point she texted me [a picture of] her baby girl Charlotte and I remember saying congrats and then my doctor said, ‘It’s time to start pushing!'”

Posted by Nicole Shaw on Tuesday, September 13, 2016

The perfect synchronization meant these women could now rely on each other for support as first-time moms, experiencing each new phase of motherhood at the same time.

“I really think having her to fall back on during those first few weeks is what kept me sane,” Shaw said.

Plus, when they’re in the same state, their kids always have someone to go on playdates with.

“AJ and Charlotte are always going to be friends, they don’t have a choice!” Renna joked.

Life was going smoothly for a while but then, in the summer of 2017, Renna had a miscarriage.

Fortunately, she had a friend by her side to help her through the grieving process.

Posted by Alicia Renna on Sunday, August 16, 2009

“Nicole was there for me the entire time,” Renna said. “Again, she was my first friend I told when I was pregnant and my first phone call when I lost the baby.”

A few months later, Renna decided she was ready to try again. Shaw called her around this time, letting her know that Charlotte was going to be a big sister. Renna’s response?

“I think AJ might be too.”

Renna told Shaw that she suspected she might be pregnant, but was nervous to take the test. That’s when Shaw hit her with some positive peer pressure!

“I insisted she take a test while I was on the phone with her, and sure enough it was positive!” Shaw said.

Not only was Renna about to have a baby but doctors later confirmed that—again—hers was due the exact same day as Shaw’s!

“We both laughed so hard talking about how we couldn’t have planned this if we tried, which we 100 percent did not plan at all!” said Shaw.

“That’s how I knew everything truly happens for a reason!” Renna said.

Posted by Alicia Renna on Sunday, September 7, 2008