Kelliee Dawson was only gone for two hours, and her teenage daughter and her cousin nearly died.
The two girls had gotten into the alcohol cabinet at Dawson’s ex-husband’s house. Two beers and six shots later, her daughter Taylor was suffering from alcohol poisoning. Her blood alcohol level had reached .43—which is five times the legal limit, and enough to kill a grown man.
Sitting in the hospital, Dawson posted this photo of her daughter after a traumatic ordeal, and made a plea to other parents and teens to take this as a warning.
“This is what 2 beers, 2 shots of Captain Morgan, 2 shots of apple pie moonshine, 2 shots of whiskey, and a handful of liquor soaked blueberries looks like on a 16 year old,” she wrote on Facebook.
This was all over the course of two hours. By the time Taylor’s dad found her, she was completely unresponsive. She was rushed to the hospital, where Dawson met her.
She was lying on a gurney, covered in heated blankets so she wouldn’t freeze, her body temperature at 95 degrees. She was connected to IVs while another tube was put down her throat into her stomach to drain what fluid was left.
“It took the ER team 3 attempts to intubate Taylor, they tore her throat up in the process. It was necessary – so she could be attached to the ventilator which spent the next 13 hours breathing for her, because she wasn’t able to breathe on her own,” Dawson wrote.
“The Doctors at Amplatz made it very clear to us that had her father had not found our child when he did, she would have undoubtedly died in that house last night.”
Dawson added that they were extremely blessed to not be burying their child that week.
“I hope my daughter and my niece understand how fortunate they both are. I hope they learned a valuable lesson in this. And I hope this experience shared can help prevent another child losing her life to alcohol.”
She hoped others would learn from this as well.
“Parents: 2 hours. They were only alone for 2 hours.
Kids: 2 beers and 6 shots is all it took to almost kill this girl.
Please share this. Help raise awareness of the dangers of alcohol poisoning and teenage binge drinking.
I never thought I could find us in a situation like this.
Neither did Taylor.
Maybe we should have.”
Many took her plea to heart—the post went viral, and was shared over 1.1 million times.