If you think “morning commute” or “stuffed like sardines” when you hear “train,” think again.
Here are some of the most scenic—some breathtakingly so—or interesting train ride views from around the world.
1. Switzerland Glacier Express
2. Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad, Colorado
3. Rocky Mountaineer, Banff to Alberta
4. Hiram Bingham Orient Express (through Peru)
5. Danube Express from Budapest to Istanbul
6. The Train to the Clouds (Tren a las Nubes) along the Argentina-Chile border
7. The Harz Railway through Germany’s Harz mountains – the largest fleet of passenger steam locomotives
8. Talyllyn Railway in Mid-Wales, the world’s first preserved railway