Joze-lynn Kern, a 3-year-old from Beaumont, Texas was on stare duty watching over her younger brother, only 2 weeks old. No one knows exactly what was going on in her head and no one clearly bothered. As she stared at her baby brother however, she reports that she noticed he was not breathing right.
Her quick thinking and action revealed something incredible, and ended up saving her brother’s life.
“He was dying, he couldn’t breathe or anything,” Joze-lynn said, distressed. Seeing this, she quickly ran to her grandmother to tell her.
“She scared me to death,” said grandmother Pam Chance. “She came in and told me Kaysen stopped breathing”
They immediately rushed to the hospital where the baby was taken care of.
Doctors were able to revive the 2-week-old baby and save his life. Then they told the guardians that he had experienced something called reflux.
“With young infants, there’s a thing called reflux, food comes up from their tummy and if it comes up too high, it can cut off their breathing,” Director of Pediatrics at Baptist, Regan Sciarrilla, told KGW.
Many babies get this, but it is rarely serious—it rarely becomes life threatening or a long-term problem. Babies will usually just spit up food or liquid, and it will cease after they are 18 months of age.
In rare cases it can be a sign of an allergy or a digestive problem. If this is coupled with poor eating and poor weight gain, it may be something to look into.
For Joze-lynn’s brother, it was just a simple case of too much too quickly—and if she hadn’t been so quick to notify someone he might not have recovered so quickly.
“Not only does he have a big sister, he’s got a big hero,” Sciarrilla said.