In this recipe, Yukon Gold potatoes and sweet potatoes are roughly mashed together with leeks for a beautiful mottled white-and-orange take on mashed potatoes. The creme fraiche topping offers a tangy counterpoint.
2-Toned Mashed Potatoes
Active Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- 1 tablespoon buttermilk plus 2/3 cup, divided
- 2 tablespoons creme fraiche or sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder or granulated onion
- Pinch of salt plus 3/4 teaspoon, divided
- 1 1/2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 small leek, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced, white and light green parts only
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut into 4 pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh chives
Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
Combine 1 tablespoon buttermilk, the creme fraiche (or sour cream), onion powder (or granulated onion), and a pinch of salt. Cover and refrigerate while you cook the vegetables.
Add potatoes, sweet potatoes, and leek to the boiling water and return to a boil. Reduce heat to maintain a vigorous simmer and cook until tender enough to pierce with a knife, 12 to 15 minutes. Drain and return the vegetables to the pan (off the heat).
Add the remaining 2/3 cup buttermilk, the remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt, butter, and pepper to the pan; coarsely mash with a potato masher. Serve topped with the sauce and chives.
Prepare sauce and vegetables, cover, and refrigerate separately for up to one day. Reheat vegetables, covered, in the microwave or a double boiler before continuing with the recipe.
Recipe nutrition per serving: 117 Calories, Total Fat: 3 g, Saturated Fat: 1 g, Cholesterol: 6 mg, Carbohydrates: 21 g, Fiber: 2 g, Total Sugars: 4 g, Added Sugars: 0 g, Protein: 2 g, Sodium: 190 mg, Potassium: 318 mg, Folate: 14 mcg, Calcium: 40 mg.
Carbohydrate servings: 1 1/2.
EatingWell is a magazine and website devoted to healthy eating as a way of life. Online at EatingWell.com. Copyright 2021 Eating Well, Inc. Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.