Teenage Girl Died From Extreme Asthma Attack After Allergic Reaction to Dogs

Hosts of the party where she died refused to give their address to the emergency services
By John Smithies
John Smithies
John Smithies
A journalist for The EpochTimes based in London. These views are firmly my own.
November 29, 2017 Updated: September 25, 2019

A 17-year-old girl with a dog allergy died at a house party when the hosts refused to give out their address to the ambulance, an inquest has heard.

Kiana Owen had a severe asthma attack at the party in Tyneside, northern England, in the early hours of Sep. 3, 2016.

She was struggling to breathe in and went into the garden to call an ambulance at 1:18 a.m., according to ChronicleLive.

Because she had never been to the property before she didn’t know the exact address—and the couple who lived there refused to tell her because emergency services “may have informed social services.”

She then went into the lane behind the garden where she had a fit. The ambulance eventually arrived at 1:38 a.m. by which point she had gone into cardiac arrest.

She was pronounced dead at 2:53 a.m. at a nearby hospital.

Kiana’s family told the hearing she had asthma from a young age and had suffered a mild attack two weeks earlier in an allergic reaction to her grandmother’s dogs.

Kimberley Heston, who lived at the property, was pregnant at the time of the death. She told ChronicleLive: “I didn’t know she was allergic to dogs but we put the dogs in the kitchen when she started feeling unwell.

“I heard her shouting outside and I remember saying: ‘Would you please leave the garden?’ – because I was pregnant and I didn’t want social services coming round.

“That’s why I didn’t want to give my address – I didn’t know she was on the phone to the ambulance at the time.

“I didn’t know it was that bad until later when everyone went outside and she was in the alley, on the floor.

“Me and my partner were helping Kiana while someone else was on the phone—that’s when I knew it was serious.”

At the inquest, Detective Sergeant Kimberley Flynn said: “From the statements that were taken it would appear Kimberley and Lewis didn’t want the ambulance or police to attend because potentially that would have informed social services.”

The coroner recorded a conclusion of death by natural causes.

And while you’re here …

 We have a small favor to ask of you. More people are reading The Epoch Times than ever, but ad revenues are plummeting across media websites. If you can, please share this article on Facebook so you can help The Epoch Times. It takes less than a minute. Thank you very much!

John Smithies
A journalist for The EpochTimes based in London. These views are firmly my own.