Real Estate Q&A with Broker Suzun Bennet, May 19

May 19, 2010 Updated: October 1, 2015

Suzun Bennet, Broker and vice president at Halstead Property.  (The Epoch Times)
Suzun Bennet, Broker and vice president at Halstead Property. (The Epoch Times)
Q. How does one get started in Manhattan’s real estate industry?

A. Start doing some research of your own, and work out if you are looking to move into a new profession.
You don’t need to know everything about real estate to get going, but there is a definite learning curve so expect that.
You do need to be a ‘people person,’ and to enjoy working with people.

Q. What are the essentials?

A. To become a real estate professional, you need to attend the Real Estate Sales Licensing Course (75 hours) and pass the state exam.
Courses are held at a number of institutions including the New York Real Estate Institute of New York (NYREI), Real Estate Board of New York (REBNY), or New York University (NYU).

Q. After completing the Real Estate Licensing course, what do I need to do?

A. If you intend to work as a real estate professional in Manhattan, you need to join a real estate company.
My suggestion is to find a company preferably with a good training program and good strong marketing brand power to support you as you grow your business.

Q. Would you say now is a good time to start in real estate?

A. It is busy now, so I think 2010 would be a great time to start.
Just like any job, you need to work hard and put in long hours; real estate is no exception.

Suzun Bennet, Broker and vice president at Halstead Property, is based in Manhattan, and is available to answer any residential real estate questions you may have.
Suzun has been a real estate professional for five years, having handled real estate sale transactions in all areas of the city, and responsible for selling both the cheapest and the priciest apartments on the market during that time.
Please send your questions to Suzun at:

Follow Charlotte on Twitter: @charlottecuthbo