Prince Autopsy Results Revealed: Accidental Overdose of Fentanyl
The investigation of Prince’s death was completed on Thursday, June 2, and findings concluded that the “Purple Rain” singer died from an accidental overdose of fentanyl, according to the Midwest Medical Examiners Office.
The report indicates the legendary musician administered the drug himself.
Dr. A. Quinn Strobl, who is the chief medical examiner at the Midwest Medical Examiner’s Office performed the autopsy on Prince, who weighed 112 lbs at the time of his death.
Reports have suggested that Prince, whose full name is Prince Rogers Nelson was battling an intense addiction to painkillers after a medical procedure to replace his hip. Strobl’s notes a scar on Prince’s left hip in her findings.
Associates of Prince were reportedly concerned about his health, prompting them to contact famed addiction specialist, Howard Kornfeld.
Prince Rogers Nelson investigation results attached pic.twitter.com/CMt6lQSGxJ
— Midwest Medical Exam (@MidwestMedExam) June 2, 2016
“The plan was to quickly evaluate his health and devise a treatment plan. The doctor was planning on a lifesaving mission,” said William Mauzy, attorney for Kornfeld. Prince was scheduled to visit the physician just one day after his death. Kornfeld is the head of Recovery Without Walls in California.
However, Kornfeld was unable to meet with Prince and instead sent his son, Andrew, in his place.
Andrew Kornfeld flew from San Francisco to tend to Prince early Thursday morning. When he arrived at the 50,000 sq ft sprawling home at 9:30 a.m., the “Purple Rain” musician was nowhere to be found. He was later found unresponsive in his elevator. It is Kornfeld who dialed 911 after others in the home “were in too much shock” to do so. Prince was pronounced dead at 10:07 a.m. on April 21.
Family members and close friends of the musician refuted claims the singer was addicted to painkillers. They stated the “When Doves Cry” singer led a healthy lifestyle and did not dabble in drug use.
Friend and longtime lawyer Londell McMillan called the allegations absurd.
“Everybody who knows Prince knows he wasn’t walking around drugged up,” McMillan told CBS. “That’s foolish. No one ever saw Prince and said ‘He looks high.’ It wasn’t what he was about.”
Music executive L.A. Reid echoed similar sentiments.
“I know he was really health conscious. He was a vegan. He didn’t abuse alcohol,” he said. “I didn’t know him abusing drugs. He worked out.”
The Carver County Sheriff’s Office will continue its own investigation.