Police Drop ‘Putney Jogger’ Investigation a Year After Footage Prompts Outrage
The moment he shoved a woman into the path of a bus might have gone viral, but the identity of the “Putney Bridge jogger” looks likely to forever remain a mystery.
A year after they first released the footage taken from a London bus, Britain’s Met Police have ended the investigations into the incident.
The 33-year-old victim was saved from a major head injury by the quick reactions of a bus driver, when a jogger pushed her off the sidewalk with both hands without warning on May 5 last year.
The bus driver told The Sunday Times in September he thought he was going to hit her.
“If I hadn’t swerved, I would have smashed her head,” he said.
“It was reflex. The consequences would have been terrible for her—and for me.”
He said the jogger “looked like he was doing it on purpose. He needs to be caught and to explain himself. He needs to be prosecuted.”
The jogger showed no remorse or response, and didn’t break his stride during the incident. He continued his morning run, returning to cross the bridge the other way about 15 minutes later, according to police.
“The victim tried to speak to him but he did not acknowledge her and carried on jogging towards the north side of the river,” said a Met police statement last year.
Described as a white man, aged in his 30s, with brown eyes and short brown hair, the jogger was never identified, and he never came forward despite widespread outrage and the footage being spread far and wide.
The Met Police said in a statement via email, “Officers looked at over 50 people of interest during the course of the investigation; all of them were researched, reviewed and eventually eliminated. The matter was investigated fully with all reasonable lines of enquiry completed.
“As a suspect has not been identified and as all lines of enquiry have now been exhausted the investigation has been closed, should any new information come to like this will be explored.”