Parents Warn After Red Rash Sends Boy to ER Where Doctors Reveal the Alarming Diagnosis

August 7, 2019 Updated: August 11, 2019

After a strange mark appeared on their son Coop’s face, Arden and Ashlee Hawley, from Idaho, were alerted to an alarming phenomenon: “strep throat” can actually invade the sinuses.

The concerned parents took to social media to warn others about the dangers of this little-known strain of strep. They were amazed at the responses they got; as it turned out, the Hawleys weren’t the only ones to have been stricken by this strange experience.

Okay folks here is a heads up for anyone who may see something strange and wonder what it may be like we did. Coop had a…

تم النشر بواسطة ‏‎Arden Hawley‎‏ في الثلاثاء، ٢٦ فبراير ٢٠١٩

During the cold-and-flu season, it’s not unusual for strep infections to jump on the bacterial bandwagon. But when Coop’s parents noticed a red mark on their little boy’s face, they were alarmed.

“We thought it was compliments of his little brother,” Arden admitted, posting about the family’s experience on Facebook. But the mark got worse; the Hawleys took Coop to see their family physician.

تم النشر بواسطة ‏‎Arden Hawley‎‏ في الثلاثاء، ٢٦ فبراير ٢٠١٩

A steroid treatment only exacerbated the red rash, so the next logical stop was to go to the emergency room. Doctors quickly got to the bottom of the mysteriously spreading red rash; it was a strep infection in the sinuses.

“They told us it will continue to migrate through the eyes and into the brain if not treated,” Arden shared, hoping to warn other parents about this shocking strep mutation. Coop, thankfully, recovered quickly. “Please take this and show as far and wide as you can,” Arden urged. “It may save someone’s babies.”

تم النشر بواسطة ‏‎Arden Hawley‎‏ في الثلاثاء، ٢٦ فبراير ٢٠١٩

According to the Middlesex-London Health Unit of Ontario, this form of strep is clinically known as “invasive Group A Streptococcal Disease, or iGAS.” It occurs when the bacteria responsible for common strep throat infect other organ systems, or even the bloodstream.

Arden’s post has reached over 1.1 million people and is definitely raising awareness, just as poor Coop’s parents hoped it would. So much so, in fact, that other parents have added their experiences to the dossier. Candace Reeves McMahan, of Oklahoma, for one, had her own frightening brush with uncertainty after her son Luke fell ill with strep.

Many people have asked me exactly what happened to Luke. I just said he got an infection in his eyes because it was…

تم النشر بواسطة ‏‎Candace Reeves McMahan‎‏ في الأربعاء، ٢٧ فبراير ٢٠١٩

Luke’s eyes appeared red and swollen, but it was only after multiple trips to the hospital and a round of surgery that little Luke’s condition improved. “Because it was in his eyes, it was very close to the brain,” Candace posted on Facebook, “which is super scary!”

However, despite some potentially permanent scarring, Luke, like Coop, recovered well. “He almost looks normal and is almost back to his normal self,” Candace shared, relieved. “I believe in the power of prayer,” the mom added, “and I can’t thank everyone enough for that.”

تم النشر بواسطة ‏‎Candace Reeves McMahan‎‏ في الأربعاء، ٢٧ فبراير ٢٠١٩

Jennifer Schmid’s story added a whole new dimension to the strep crisis after her 3-year-old daughter Emerson developed a frightening new symptom: bruising.

After the toddler contracted traditional strep throat, Jennifer assumed she knew what she was in for. However, one whole week after her course of treatment was over, bruising started to appear on Emerson’s legs.

I'm sure everyone has seen the post being shared about the little boy getting strep in his sinus's and the warnings. I…

تم النشر بواسطة ‏‎Jennifer Schmid‎‏ في الخميس، ٢٨ فبراير ٢٠١٩

The bruising kept getting worse. “She had bruises all up and down her legs,” Jennifer explained in her own Facebook post, “on her back [and] lower back, and they weren’t normal; these were raised and had lumps in the middle of the bruising.”

Emerson’s doctors suspected “Henoch-Scholein Purpura” disorder; essentially, the 3-year-old’s blood vessels were leaking into her body, creating the spreading of bruises and swelling under the skin. Mercifully, little Emerson healed well.

But Jennifer had seen Arden’s original post and felt the need to warn others the way she had been warned herself. “I just wanted to put a PSA out there,” Jennifer wrote, “that even after having strep and taking all the medicine, that strep can really wreak havoc on our bodies.”

MedicineNet advises people to look out for (among other symptoms) sinus headaches, facial tenderness, pain in the sinuses, ears, and teeth, fever, and occasional facial swelling.

Mom Jennifer’s parting advice truly says it best: “Watch your little ones!”