Pancakes With Cranberry Relish and Orange Zest
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour (250 grams)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder (15 grams)
- Pinch of salt (2 grams)
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons sugar (25 grams)
- 1 cup milk (220 grams)
- 1 cup buttermilk (220 grams)
- 4 tablespoons canola oil (50 grams)
- 2 extra-large eggs (110 grams)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean (3 grams)
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin spice (10 grams)
- 1/2 cup of cranberry sauce, from night before (150 grams)
- 1 orange, for zest
Combine all flour, baking powder, sugar, pumpkin spice, and salt in a bowl. In a separate bowl, combine eggs, milk, vanilla, butter, buttermilk, and oil by whisking very well.
Slowly add the dry mix to the egg mix with a wooden spoon. Be sure not to over mix batter, as it should be slightly lumpy.
Place the bowl of batter in refrigerator for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, whisk cranberry sauce to become more like a jelly.
Remove pancake batter from the fridge and dollop cranberry sauce into batter and gently fold a few times, finally making a swirl throughout the batter with the spoon.
Heat a nonstick pan on the stove over medium-high heat. Place 1/2 cup of batter into the pan and zest the orange over the pancake side that is facing up. Just a couple sprinkles of zest will do!
Once it is bubbling, flip and continue to cook the other side. Remove from pan and serve with butter and maple syrup. Top with cranberry sauce.
Chef’s Note: For most accurate results, use a kitchen scale to measure ingredients.