The discussion over additional restrictions was to take place as the province recorded more than 5,000 deaths from the virus.
Premier Doug Ford said residents can expect an announcement on new measures on Tuesday.
“We worked all weekend … right until late hours last night,” he said as he arrived at the legislature ahead of Monday night’s cabinet meeting.
“We’ll be going to cabinet with recommendations.”
Senior government sources with knowledge of the measures being considered confirmed that an overnight curfew was not recommended by public health officials.
The government is also set to make new COVID-19 projections public on Tuesday. Ford has said those figures are very concerning and warned of “rough waters” ahead.
The premier said Friday that the current provincewide lockdown could extend past January, along with new public health measures to respond to rising infections.
Officials in government and health-care have warned that surging cases are putting great strain on the health-care system.
The province reported 29 additional deaths from COVID-19 on Monday—along with 3,338 new cases—which brings the total number of deaths reported to 5,012 since the start of the pandemic.
The government said 1,563 people are currently hospitalized with the virus, with 387 people in intensive care and 268 on ventilators.
Meanwhile, elementary school students across northern Ontario returned to in-class learning Monday morning.
All students began their winter term with online learning this month and the government announced last week that students in southern Ontario will continue attending classes remotely until at least Jan. 25.
The northern portion of the province is allowed to return to school buildings as positivity rates for COVID-19 in that region are relatively low.
By Shawn Jeffords