Man Arrested for Alleged Kidnapping, Sexual Assault of 11-Year-Old Girl in Sydney

By Janita Kan, Epoch Times
June 17, 2018 Last Updated: June 17, 2018

A 47-year-old man has been arrested and charged over the alleged kidnapping and sexual assault of a young girl in New South Wales on Saturday, June 16.

An 11-year-old girl told police she was walking through Hudson Park on Terrance Street, Adamstown Heights, when she was allegedly approached and threatened by a man who claimed he was armed with a knife, just after 9:15 a.m. local time on Tuesday, June 12.

According to a statement, the attacker allegedly sexually assaulted the girl at the location before forcing her into a red Holden Commodore. He then drove her to a remote area where he repeatedly sexually and indecently assaulted her, according to police.

After a number of hours, the man then released the girl at Kotara Railway Station around 2:15 p.m.—about five hours after she was initially abducted—when she returned home and reported the incident to family members.

The family contacted police and the 11-year-old was taken to the hospital for a medical examination.

Following an investigation, the man was arrested on Saturday around 12:15 p.m. on Beaumont Street, Hamilton. He was taken to Newcastle Police Station.

The 47-year-old has been charged with with kidnapping, six counts of aggravated sexual assault, and four counts of aggravated indecent assault, according to police.

The red Holden Commodore has been seized and is currently being examined by specialist forensic officers.

Detective Superintendent John Kerlatec told reporters today that the identification of the man’s car was key in leading to the attacker’s arrest.

“The identification of the car was one of the very key aspects of it but also the description provided by the very brave, young victim,” Kerlatec said, reported Newscorp.

“I don’t know the motive or why someone would perpetrate this crime,” he added.

The detective superintendent also told reporters that it has been a traumatic experience for the victim and her family but they are comforted to know the attacker has been arrested.

“They have some comfort knowing this person is now off the streets,” he said, reported the news website.

“It’s been a traumatic and very challenging few days. They were worried as everyone else was in the community.”

The man was refused bail to appear at Newcastle Local Court today.

Anyone with concerns about suspected child abuse or exploitation should call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or use the Crime Stoppers online reporting page: