Justin Bourque Facebook Posts: A Look at Account of Suspected Moncton Killer
Justin Bourque’s Facebook account appears to be active during a massive manhunt for the suspected killer.
Police say Bourque fatally shot three Mounties and wounded two others.
Bourque has several anti-police and pro-gun posts on his account, including one of a child in the outdoors with a gun and another of what appears to be himself and a relative in the woods with guns and dozens of spent shells on the ground.
The activity on the page appeared to ramp up just before the killings started on Wednesday night, with Bourque sharing a series of anti-police posts, including one that claims to show “the international militarization of the police” in countries including America, England, Turkey, and France.
He also posted song lyrics, including to a Megadeath song that includes the line “Make a person disappear, and no one will ever miss you.”
Another post includes part of the lyrics to a Deathlok song. And another includes the quote “We need your guns, they said. So I shot them.”
Other posts include speculating that Canada “is one of the world’s most likely targets Russia would invade” and about people being “hypnotized” and under an illusion.
See an Associated Press update to the situation below.
MONCTON, New Brunswick—A man suspected of killing three Royal Canadian Mounted Police officers was spotted three times Thursday but has so far eluded a massive manhunt in the normally tranquil east coast city of Moncton, police said.
Justin Bourque, 24, was seen in three different places around the search area of Moncton, said RCMP Commander Marlene Snowman.
At one point, he was seen coming in and out of a wooded area, Snowman said.
“He’s capable of moving into the wooded area and out,” she said.
Heavily armed RCMP officers are combing streets and woods in search of Bourque, who was wearing military camouflage and carrying two rifles in a picture released by police on Twitter.
Police said he has high powered long firearms, ammunition and other items.
“Quite honestly I don’t know where he is at this time,” RCMP Commanding Officer Roger Brown said.
Investigators have not determined a motive for the shooting, which occurred Wednesday evening when police responded to a call about an armed man in the north end of Moncton. Three officers were killed and two were wounded.
Snowman said Bourque was not known to police.
Schools and government offices were closed, and the city pulled its buses off the roads. Mail delivery was suspended.
Police have commandeered armored trucks and told residents to stay indoors.
The two injured officers were being treated for non-life-threatening wounds.
“The RCMP family is hurting. As is Moncton, New Brunwick and our country,” Brown said.
The homicides were the first this year in Moncton, a city of 69,000 people about 180 miles (290 kilometers) east of the Maine border. RCMP Const. Damien Theriault said the city had no homicides last year.
“We have been blessed until this point,” Theriault told The Associated Press.
Police released a map of a large portion of the northwest section of the city, including a heavily wooded area, where they wanted people to remain inside with their doors locked. Families hunkered down in their basements.
Authorities warned people to expect roadblocks and traffic disruptions.
Police commandeered two Brink’s trucks and other private armored vehicles and entered the neighborhood.
Daniel St. Louis, a commercial photographer, said he came upon the scene around 8:30 p.m. and saw two police vehicles on different streets with blood inside.
One of the vehicles, a marked police cruiser, was surrounded by shattered glass. The other, an unmarked SUV with its lights still on and the driver’s side door left open, had several bullet holes through its front windshield.
“I walked over and I saw two feet, facing the street, toes up,” said St. Louis, 51. “I realized, ‘Oh my God. There’s somebody down.’ As I got close, I realized it was an officer and this is not a good situation.”
St. Louis said he doesn’t know what to make of the tragedy.
“Our quiet little city, what is going on here?” he said. “How is this happening to us? It always happens to somebody else.”
Danny Leblanc, 42, said he saw the shooter in the distance Wednesday evening, wearing a camouflage outfit and standing in the middle of the street with his gun pointed at police cars.
The construction worker said he believed it was an RCMP officer until he heard a burst of gunfire coming from the man’s gun.
He said he quickly retreated into his home and remained there with his family. At one point a neighbor posted on social media that their kitchen window was shattered by gunfire.
Leblanc said few people on his normally quiet street were sleeping as they awaited word at midnight on whether an arrest had been made.
Such violence is rare in Canada, particularly on the east coast.
The three officers were the first Canadian police killed the line of duty since March 2013, when a Kativik police force officer in northern Quebec was shot after responding to a domestic violence call.
Based on information from the RCMP’s Honour Roll page on its website, the last Mountie to die from a gunshot was Const. Douglas Scott on Nov. 5, 2007. He was shot while responding to a call for help involving an impaired driver at Kimmirut, Nunavut.
Wednesday’s shootings also brought back memories of when four Royal Canadian Mounted Police officers were killed in the western Canadian province of Alberta in 2005 in the deadliest attack on Canadian police officers in 120 years. They had been investigating a farm in Mayerthrope, a hamlet in Alberta, when a man shot them. The gunman was killed.
In 1974, two Moncton cops were kidnapped, shot and killed after making a traffic stop.
Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper, in Brussels for a meeting of the G-7 group of nations, offered his condolences to the families, colleagues and friends of those affected by the shootings.