International Beer Day 2014: Quotes, Facts, History, Origin
August 1 is International Beer Day.
International Beer Day was the brainchild of Jesse Avshalomov, and the day was founded by Avshalomov, Evan Hamilton, Aaron Araki, and Richard Hernandez in 2007.
Back then, Avshalomov and his friends decided that “there needed to be a day in celebration of all things beer, a day in thanks to the people who produce and provide our favorite beverage.”
The guys proceeded to invent “International Beer Day, convinced our local bar to celebrate, made a little website for it, gave thanks to the beer industry, and had a good-ol’ time.”
People around the world eventually found the website and held celebrations of their own.
Since then, Avshalomov and pals have been “working each year to bring the celebration to more and more people.”
Today, there is even a Facebook page for the event.
Check out some facts about quotes about beer, and some facts below that:
“He was a wise man who invented beer.” — Plato
“I’m gaining weight the right way: I’m drinking beer.” — Johnny Damon
– The first beer recipe was written by the Sumerians 4,000 years ago.
– The ancient Babylonians were the first to brew beer.
– Light makes beer go bad.
– George Washington brewed his own beer in Mount Vernon.
– Washington also insisted that his troops be given a quart of beer as part of their daily rations.
– Likewise, the builders of the Great Pyramid of Giza were paid with a daily ration of beer.
– In the Middle Ages, beer was considered safer than water because of the alcohol.
– One of the moon’s crater is named Beer.
*cheers via Shutterstock.