In a world where the media increasingly focuses on the negative, we at The Epoch Times seek to shine a light on the positive.
Every day, in every corner of the world, stories of compassion, redemption, and triumph in the face of adversity abound. We’re looking for great reporting on these types of stories. And with the help of social media, we’d like to see these stories go viral.
The Epoch Times is accepting submissions of short (500-1000 words) inspiring articles, written in journalistic style, with viral potential on social media.
Here are two sample articles that performed well:
On social media, a winning article has two equally important ingredients:
(1) a captivating story, and (2) an enticing Facebook post.
As such, all entries will be judged based on a combination of writing quality and potential for Facebook fan reaction.
The competition is now open (as of July 7, 2017) and closes Sept. 18, 2017.
You may submit at any time before Sept. 18, 2017, but we have divided the competition into five groups. Your entry will be judged against the other submissions in your group. Many people wait until the last minute to submit to contests, so submitting early could increase your chances of winning.
Group 1: July 24, 2017 at 11:59 p.m. EST
Group 2: Aug. 7, 2017 at 11:59 p.m. EST
Group 3: Aug. 21, 2017 at 11:59 p.m. EST
Group 4: Sept. 4, 2017 at 11:59 p.m. EST
Group 5: Sept. 18, 2017 at 11:59 p.m. EST
How It Works – Over $10,000 in Prizes
Stage 1: Editor’s Choice
In the first stage, Epoch Times editors will judge all submissions (within a group) and award points based on the following attributes:
- Original topic
- Embodiment of the contest theme
- Engaging storytelling
- Clean, publish-ready copy
Editor’s Choice winners will be published on The Epoch Times website, with your byline. Winning authors will be notified via email.
Stage 2: Reader’s Choice
In the second stage, all Editor’s Choice winners will be promoted on Facebook using the Facebook post you submit with your entry. We’ll tag you on the post to alert you that it’s gone live (if you’ve provided your Facebook ID).
After 72 hours, fan reaction will be recorded and points will be awarded based on reader engagement. Posts that perform well also have the chance to be shared on more Facebook pages across Epoch Media Group properties—which together reach over 55 million fans.
Stage 3: Inspiring the World Grand Prize Awards
In the third stage, Inspiring the World Grand Prizes will be awarded based on total points earned in the Editor’s Choice and the Reader’s Choice stages. All three groups will be evaluated together during this stage.
Grand Prize winners will be awarded after the final deadline. Winners will be notified via email.
Grand Prize winners will also be announced in an article published on The Epoch Times website, including a brief bio for each (prize-winning) author. The three top place articles will also be published in print, in The Epoch Times U.S. national edition.
Report on a story that captures any of the following themes:
- Triumph of the human spirit
- Life’s surprises
Tip: examples of stories that tend to do well:
- Rescues/heroic actions (usually spontaneous)
- Great personal sacrifice for a worthy cause
- Strangers going out of their way to help in a crisis
- Amazing displays of love, family bonds
- Demonstrations of gratitude
- Unbelievable coincidences
- Any of the above, involving animal(s)
2. Content & Style
- You must write about true, real-life events in journalistic style.
- Word count: 500 to 1,000 words.
- Submit at least one (1) photo, but you can submit as many supporting photos and/or videos as you like.
- Include captions for all photos: a brief description telling who, what, where, and when, and the credit for the photo (not included in word count).
- You may write in third person, or first person if appropriate.
- Topics and language should be appropriate for all ages; we are a family-friendly media.
- Aim for broad spectrum appeal. Don’t get political or into advocacy. Furthermore, highly divisive topics should be avoided; we seek to unite people, not divide them further.
- Writing style should be a mixture of journalistic reporting and great storytelling (reporting conveys information; storytelling creates an experience). Please do not submit creative writing works.
- Include all sources from your reporting to help our editors fact-check your story (e.g. links to sources, links to profiles of interview subjects, any relevant documents, etc.).
- Follow journalistic best practices; the Society of Professional Journalists Code of Ethics is a good guideline.
3. Facebook Post (Recommended)
- The goal is to make the reader feel compelled to click into your article, but it cannot be misleading.
- All elements of your post must be in good taste.
- Please read over the Facebook Post How-To before submitting your post.
- You may enter without a Facebook post, in which case our senior editors will create a post for your article submission.
4. Submission Requirements
- Make sure your entry is complete. Incomplete submissions will not be accepted. Find full submission requirements here.
Ready to inspire the world?
On behalf of The Epoch Times team, we wish you best of luck!