3 1/2 lbs boneless short ribs, trimmed of excess fat (1 1/2 kg)
2 TBS vegetable oil (60 ml)
2 large onions
2 large shallots (or 8 small ones)
1 TBS tomato paste (15 g)
6 cloves garlic
2 cups red wine, recommended Cabernet Sauvignon or Côtes du Rhône (480 ml)
1 cup beef broth (240 ml)
4 sprigs fresh thyme
1 bay leaf
Salt & Pepper
1. Preheat your dutch oven.
2. Meanwhile, peel the onions, shallots, and garlic, and slice the onions and shallots. Set aside.
3. Pat dry the short ribs. Season with a generous amount of salt and pepper on both sides.
4. Coat the bottom of dutch oven with oil, and insert the short ribs to brown them on both sides. Once, both sides are browned, remove from dutch oven, and set aside
5. Insert onions, garlic, and shallots. Sauté until soft. Insert tomato paste and stir. Add wine and simmer, scraping bottom of pan with wooden spoon to loosen browned bits, until reduced by half (about 8 to 10 minutes).
6. Add in the beef, broth, thyme, and bay leaf. Cover and bring to simmer. Cook until fork slips easily in and out of meat (about 2 – 3 hours).
For more recipes: http://bit.ly/1fYjMmB