A good plate of nachos are often difficult to resist. The combination of corn, cheese, jalapenos, and other vegetables dipped into a savory salsa is a favorite in homes and bars during game day, or any occasion for that matter. However, nachos are typically the furthest thing from health food—until now. Feast your eyes on this healthy nacho recipe.
The purpose of this healthy nacho recipe is to take a fan favorite and turn it into delicious, health promoting snack. We can do this by making the nachos organic and non-GMO, use a cheese substitute (or raw cheese), and fresh organic vegetables, including fermented ones.
Fermented vegetables will aid in the digestion of your snack by offering beneficial probiotics. Your stomach will thank you for it.
The only equipment you will need is a cookie sheet and an oven.
- Organic, non-GMO corn chips
- Daiya cheese or raw cheese
- Unpasteurized sauerkraut (or fermented vegetables of choice)
- Red peppers
- Spread corn chips onto a cookie sheet.
- Add jalapenos, tomatoes, red pepper, onion, and avocado.
- Cover with daiya or raw cheese.
- Pop in the oven on broil for 3 minutes or less (until cheese is just melted—be careful not to burn).
- Add sauerkraut or fermented vegetables.
- Dip in fermented salsa to improve digestion and the nutrients in your new healthy snack.
Have as a snack before the big game, but avoid eating within a few hours of bedtime.