Death Summons—Man Dies at Police Station

November 7, 2009 Updated: November 9, 2009

Eight police officers arrived at Jiang Ming’s home in Qindao City, Shandong Province on Sept. 15. Jiang, 38 years old and healthy, was summoned to the Badaguan Police Station to sign documents related to an incident from 2006 that had never been closed. Two hours later he was dead, leaving behind a young wife, a 9-year-old son, and elderly parents with illnesses.

Jiang’s wife, Gao Lianqiao, had asked to accompany him to the police station but was not allowed. Worried, she went to the station about an hour after he was taken.

“I found my husband tied with iron rods to an interrogation chair with his head hanging down. I called his name, but he did not respond. He was drooling and appeared to be having a convulsion.

“I asked the police why he was still handcuffed. I wanted them to hurry and take him to a hospital, but they said they would have to wait until after their lunch break to get permission for hospitalization from the Municipal Public Security Bureau. My husband was dying! I was crying very loudly,” Gao said.

Deputy director of the police station Chen Wei responded to Gao by pounding the table and yelling, “I’ll be responsible if he dies,” Gao recounted. She said Chen only agreed to send Jiang to a hospital after Jiang’s older brother and sister-in-law arrived and began calling higher authorities with their cell phones.

But Jiang was not carried to the police car. Instead, police grabbed his arms and dragged him to the car. As the family watched in horror, he stopped breathing and died. Family members said blood was coming out from his ears and liquid from his nose. There were bruises all over his body.

Though there were hospitals in the vicinity, he was taken to a hospital far away where little was done to resuscitate him, according to Gao.

Suspecting he was tortured to death, Jiang’s family has been appealing to various government departments. All the local public security departments, administrative departments, and courts have refused to become involved, and no suspects have been arrested.

“Our son is only 9 years old. He was doing very well at school, but now he doesn’t talk much and cries whenever someone mentions his father’ s death. My mother-in-law suffers from heart disease and cries all day. My father-in-law is diabetic. The whole family is now in chaos,” Gao said.

“It has been so long and no department will explain to me what happened at the police station or why. They only respond to questions by saying: ‘I don’ t know. I’ m not sure.’ We asked to watch the video from the surveillance cameras, but they said, ‘It is not necessary for us to show it to you.’”

An Epoch Times reporter telephoned the Badaguan Police Station to make inquiries. The officer who answered interrupted the reporter’s questions saying, “I don’t know. I’ m not quite sure about it,” and hung up the phone. Additional calls were not answered.

Gao submitted the coroner’s statement and applied to the Judicial Forensic Center at East China University of Politics and Law for an autopsy.

“We are going to pay for the autopsy with our own money,” Gao said. “We have had to take turns watching the body because we are afraid they might do something to my husband’s body. Two cars follow my family and me wherever we go—even when I pick up my son at his school.”

Gao has turned to the Internet for help. She posted an open letter on various Chinese Web sites.

According to the open letter, the local police had summoned Jiang for questioning regarding a verbal and physical fight he had had in 2006 with his sister’s ex-husband, Wang Yunshan. The dispute erupted because Wang had beaten Jiang’s sister. Wang had reported the fight to the Badaguan Police Station, and the case had never been closed.

Gao questions why a healthy person who cooperated with police to answer questions was dead within 2 hours. “Where is justice?” she asks.

Read original Chinese article