Daunting, Daring, Definitive New York Yankees Quiz 7
With spring training underway, with thoughts of the national pastime in the air, with so many of you asking for the next QUIZ—here it is. Fifty percent correct score gets you into the Yankee expert zone. Suggest your own questions and answers.
81. Who had the idea to create the Yankee Stadium “Stadium Club”?
A. Casey Stengel B. Larry MacPhail C. Dan Topping D. Jake Ruppert
82. After Lou Gehrig, who became the next captain?
A. Phil Rizzuto B. Lefty Gomez C. Mickey Mantle D. Thurman Munson
83. Which of the longest standing Yankee managers has the highest winning percentage?
A. Joe Torre B. Joe McCarthy C. Casey Stengel D. Buck Showalter
84. The Yankees have the distinction of being the first to train outside of the USA. Where did the training take place?
A. Bermuda B. Jamaica C. Cuba D. Dominican Republic
85. All played for Yankees and Mets, aside from one. Who is he?
A. Lee Mazzilli B. Gene Woodling C. Phil Linz D. Rusty Stab
86. What Yankee recorded the most steals of home?
A. Mickey Mantle B. Willie Randolph C. Lou Gehrig D. Ricky Henderson
87. Easy one: Babe Ruth’s uniform number? How did the Babe get the number? ________
88. Who hit the first home run in the new Yankee Stadium? ________
89. Another easy one? Who owned Yankees before the Steinbrenners? _________
81. B. Larry MacPhail
82. D. Thurman Munson
83. B. Joe McCarthy, .627
84. A. Bermuda, 1913
85. D. Rusty Staub
86. C. Lou Gehrig, 15
87. Three. He batted third in the batting order.
88. Babe Ruth
Dr. Harvey Frommer, a professor at Dartmouth College in the MALS program, is in his 40th year of writing books. A noted oral historian and sports journalist, he is the author of 42 sports books including the classics: best-selling “New York City Baseball, 1947-1957″ and best-selling Shoeless Joe and Ragtime Baseball,as well as his acclaimed Remembering Yankee Stadium and best-selling Remembering Fenway Park. His highly praised When It Was Just a Game: Remembering the First Super Bowl was published last fall.
His Frommer Baseball Classic – Remembering Yankee Stadium (Second Edition) is his newest sports effort. Autographed copies at the ready of this and his other books.. https://rowman.com/ISBN/9781630761554/Remembering-Yankee-Stadium-Second-Edition
The prolific author is at work on THE ULTIMATE YANKEE BOOK (2017)