What an indescribably terrifying feeling for young parents to suddenly have their newborn stop breathing. This happened to one couple at the local shopping mall, and thank goodness there were three deputies not far from the scene, who ended up saving the baby.
Kaylob and Jessie had taken their 1-week-old baby, Audrey, to an Oregon shopping mall on Sept. 30, 2018, for a portrait photo, when suddenly Audrey stopped breathing.
Jessie, Audrey’s mom, frantically called 911, and the operator gave the couple instructions to perform CPR. Kaylob did exactly what Jessie was told and carefully followed the operator’s instructions.
“You can’t describe what it’s like to see your child turn blue. Not really know how to help or what the hell’s going on,” he said, according to NBC4.
As the couple tried to revive the baby and pleaded with passersby for help, with a group around them, they continued to try to revive Audrey. Deputies Zacharkiw, Dan Olson, and Jonah Russell rushed to the scene.
“Deputy Zacharkiw performed chest compressions while Deputy Olson checked the infant’s airway with his finger. Deputy Russell stabilized Audrey’s head, keeping her neck arched and airway open,” the sheriff’s office said. “Deputy Zacharkiw turned Audrey over on her stomach and performed a burping chest pat to remove fluid from the baby’s airway. After he flipped Audrey back over, Deputy Russell used a Bulbous nose sucker to extract fluid from the infant’s nose.”
Paramedics arrived and continued the life-saving CPR procedure. She was rushed to hospital, where her condition steadily improved. Since the harrowing incident, the three officers who helped revive her paid her a visit.
“Kaylob told us he wanted a picture to show Audrey one day of the guys who saved her life,” said Deputy Zacharkiw on Clackamas.
“It was unbelievably heartwarming to be invited back, and amazing to see how far she has progressed since last Sunday. Shortly after we left, Kaylob texted me a few more pictures, excited that the EEG leads had been removed from Audrey’s head.”
It is believed she had choked on fluids after they entered her airways. Two very thankful parents will not forget their baby’s first photo shoot outing.