Car Bomb Attack Kills Eight Security Force Members in Afghanistan

January 20, 2019 Updated: January 20, 2019

KABUL, Afghanistan—A car bomb attack on a convoy of the governor of Afghanistan’s southern Logar Province killed at least eight Afghan security force members on Jan. 20 but left the provincial chief unharmed, local officials said.

Shahpoor Ahmadzai, the spokesman for Logar’s provincial police, said the bomber detonated an explosives-packed car close to the governor’s convoy on a major highway between Logar and the capital Kabul.

“Unfortunately 10 others are wounded, and the number of casualties may rise,” Ahmadzai said, adding that the provincial chief of the country’s intelligence agency was also in the convoy but unhurt in the attack.

Zabihullah Mujahid, a spokesman for the Taliban, said in a statement that the group was responsible for the blast and that a “large number” of Afghan special forces had been killed or wounded.

Logar, located around 46 miles from Kabul, is known as a strategic gateway to the capital and is vulnerable to attacks due to the Taliban’s active presence in most areas of the province.

The terrorist group has ramped up attacks in strategic provinces in recent months in its battle to expel foreign forces, topple the Western-backed government, and restore its version of hard-line Islamic law, even as peace talks with the United States ramp up.

RECOMMENDED
TOP VIDEOS