Border restrictions on non-essential travel between Canada and the United States have been prolonged for another month, Canada’s Public Safety Minister Bill Blair said in an announcement on Twitter Oct. 19.
Blair said the decision was “based on the best public health advice available to keep Canadians safe.” The move delays non-essential travel from the United Sates until November 21, unless the restrictions are again extended.
Since the Canada-U.S. border shutdown in March, the agreement has been extended several times, with the current one scheduled to expire on October 21st. The repeated extension was made because “United States is not in a place where we would feel comfortable reopening those borders,” said Prime Minister Justin Trudeau in an interview on October 14th.
Under current restrictions, people who are not Canadian citizens or permanent residents cannot enter the country for tourism, recreational, or other optional purposes. Those who are allowed to enter must quarantine for 14 days. Failure to comply with border restrictions can result in a maximum $750,000 fine or six months imprisonment.
Blair announced earlier in the month that travelers with “compassionate reasons” can be admitted starting on October 8th. This adjustment allowed Canadians citizens and permanent residents to reunite with their extended family members and those they share a dating relationship with that has lasted for at least one year.