Of the new cases, 14 were linked to current exposure sites, but only two were in quarantine for the whole of their infectious period, meaning the rest were in the community and potentially spreading the virus.
At least 13 are known to have spent some of their infectious period in the community, ACT Chief Minister Andrew Barr told reporters on Tuesday.
Barr confirmed the lockdown would be extended until Oct. 15. It had previously been scheduled to run until midnight on Friday.
Minor amendments to the public health orders come into effect on the weekend, including increased “COVID-safe” small business activity in areas such as online click and collect, delivery, limited private real estate inspections, and additional outdoor activities.
Social golf and tennis will be permitted under certain circumstances, yet to be announced.
These rules will be reviewed in two weeks.
“With this announcement, our priority over the next four weeks is to vaccinate as many people as possible,” Barr said. “During this period, nearly 50,000 Canberrans will receive their first vaccination dose at an ACT government mass vaccination clinic; 35,000 people will receive their second dose and become fully vaccinated.”
“Tens of thousands more will receive their first or second doses through GPs or pharmacists.
“Higher levels of vaccinations will support a safer pathway forward for the Territory,” he added.
Barr said that based on current projections, the country’s 70-80 percent vaccination targets are expected to be met in mid-October and early-to-mid-November.
“This will be driven by the strong vaccination program in New South Wales, Victoria, and the ACT, which combined, comprise 60 percent of the national population,” Barr said.